What's new
What's new

Alternate (UK) sources for SAE (J1926-1) cavity tools

gregormarwick

Diamond
This runs parallel to my existing thread in the cnc sub about heat shrink holders and flatted shanks.

We've been very happily using form tools of various types from PJ Tooling Ltd. for years. They are excellent tools and I am very reluctant to look for other sources, but the lead times are a big problem. They used to keep these in stock (maybe they still do and I have just been unlucky), but recent quotes have been 5 weeks delivery, and the last one I ordered actually took 8 weeks to arrive.

I am not interested in the Allied inserted tools that are easily available, I have a full set of those already and they work poorly in aluminium. I need full form ground HSS tools.

Google doesn't turn up much in the UK for these tools. Can anyone recommend other sources?

ISTR that it was you Sami who pointed me towards PJT years ago, and leadtimes aside, they continue to be excellent.

I have used Parker before. They (and just about everyone else it seems) only do straight flute ground profile cutters, which just don't make as good of a job as the true helical ones PJT make.

Have you tried Floyd Automatic Tooling? 01462 491919

I haven't, no.

I didn't realise Floyd were into that kind of tools?

You could contact Arno and ask if they can make them. They've been pleasant to deal with, in my experience.

Dunno,they do all sorts of weird and wonderful. Worth a call,nice people to deal with.

I'll 2nd that, a few years back needing a bit of (to me special) tooling for a job, that I'd no knowledge of either using or ordering.

Fearing the worst, (I know what some firms can be like with 1 man band hole in the wall job shop guys :( ) I called Floyd and was treated with courtesy and patience (Lots - I couldn't get my head round it :D ) all for what amounted to a piddling little order, ……..which not only arrived when they said it would, …..but did the job beautifully.

Back