What's new
What's new

alternative material for heat treated 1214

Matte4

Plastic
hello,

we currently heat treat 1214 to about 40HRc in order to improve its wear resistance. we would now like to make a cheaper production by replacing this with material that does not require heat treating but has same or better wear resistance as 1214 heat treated to Hrc 40,

any suggestions? the material should also machine well.

Only thing that comes to mind is pre heat treated 4140, but it will only be 28-32 Rc, and it is no where near as machineable as 1214, plus the lower hardness probably means less wear resistance.

What case depth are you specifying on your current material? Can you get by with less? That would reduce your heat treat cost slightly.

You are probably in a pretty good plsce with your current material.

What case depth are you specifying on your current material? Can you get by with less? That would reduce your heat treat cost slightly.

Which is the only way I know of to get 1214 "hard" (carburize and harden, then draw down to 40 Rc - a two step deal)

Am I missing something? 12L14 cannot be hardened. I'm not certain it can be case hardened either. If I was mistaken and it can be hardened, you sure as hell would not be hardness testing on the Rockwell "C" scale because the the diamond with a 150 kg of weight on it would punch right through the case, which might be .030" at best. Normally the "N" test is more appropriate. (15 kg)

You can get 17-4PH H900 which should measure high 30s to 40 RC. It machines well but would be considerably more expensive than 12L14 but maybe the cost savings of not needing to HT would absorb some of that added cost.

416 HT normally is 26 to 32 RC, machines freely and maybe the chrome content will give you the wear resistance you need.
A harder 416 at 32 to 36RC used to be readily available, not so much any more. I will be running out of my stash of 1/4 round in a few years and do not know if I will be able to replace it.

Am I missing something? 12L14 cannot be hardened. I'm not certain it can be case hardened either. If I was mistaken and it can be hardened, you sure as hell would not be hardness testing on the Rockwell "C" scale because the the diamond with a 150 kg of weight on it would punch right through the case, which might be .030" at best. Normally the "N" test is more appropriate. (15 kg)

The subject is 1214, nor 12L14.

S1214 Bright Carbon Steel Bar | Interlloy | Engineering Steels + Alloys

There are tables for converting from one hardness scale to another.

Hardness Conversion Chart - provides values for Brinell, Rockwell A, Rockwell B, Rockwell C, Rockwell D, Rockwell E, Rockwell F, Rockwell Superficial 15-N, Rockwell Superficial 30-N, Rockwell Superficial 45-N, Rockwell Superficial 30-T, Vickers 136,

https://www.nde-ed.org/GeneralResources/HardnessConv/HardnessConvPrint.pdf

Larry

Larry it looks like S1214 and 12L14 have the same limits for sulphur which is one of the elements responsible for the machinability so I'd consider them fairly interchangeable when discussing free machining steels.

I would think 12L14 and 1214 would respond very similarly to case hardening. I made thin wall parts in 12L14 for a customer in Canada that he sent out for case hardening. We supplied tens of thousands of these for about 5 years. He kept doing it because it worked. I even sent him some fixtures I made in 12L14 hex, he ran them with a batch of his product and returned them to me. They were indeed hard and worked as expected.
Not the ideal material for case hardening, but it is a good compromise for easy machining and moderate hardness. If the expense is the OP's major issue he might shop around or do bigger lots at one time to reduce his costs. My customer combined 2000 pcs each of 4 different parts in to one lot then separated them after treatment. When he threw my hex fixtures into the lot it did not cost a penny. I just paid the return shipping from Canada.

Which is the only way I know of to get 1214 "hard" (carburize and harden, then draw down to 40 Rc - a two step deal)

we are specifying .015-.030 inches deep. the main challenge is the parts wear faster than we anticipated, so the idea is that getting a naturally more wear resistant material should help with this problem.

You can get 17-4PH H900 which should measure high 30s to 40 RC. It machines well but would be considerably more expensive than 12L14 but maybe the cost savings of not needing to HT would absorb some of that added cost.

thank you, I shall look into it.

Went back and looked at the first post and wear resistance was mentioned. 86L20 may be a good alternative in the mix of cost, wear resistance, and machinability.
Your 17-4 is easy to heat treat your self compared with case hardening, if machining annealed is better for you and doing the heat treating in house will cost next to nothing.

Back