What's new
What's new

Alternative to overhead crane for material loading

Jay Fleming

Hot Rolled
We're thinking about getting a jib crane in the next few months but in the meantime I can see that I'll have some parts to load that are around 250-500 lbs. We have a fork lift, and while that will work temporarily, I don't think it should be a long term solution. I don't think an engine hoist will roll under our lathe, it might the mill. If I can even come up with a better option to the jib crane that may be portable, it could become permanent and we'll forego the jib crane. What are you all using for to load heavy parts that sits on the floor?

Thanks.

Jay

For one-man part loading, you need the jib crane. I used to have one with a pneumatic hoist, it was great for creeping.

I use mine for unloading material and loading the saw- my parts can be picked up by hand so I don't need cranes on the machines. I unload the trucks with the forklift and place the material on a cart in the driveway, then roll it into the shop and use the crane to unload it.

In a previous shop I did only heavy parts, and I positioned one crane to service 2 machines in each work space.

The guy I bought my lathe from (16x54) had an overhead rail mounted directly above and aligned with the ways. He had a low ceiling maybe 9'. This with a traveling chain hoist was useful for changing chucks and loading material. If you can get a cart with your material on it to either end of your lathe then you just pick it up and roll it into place, front to back alignment is set were you mount the track.

attachment.php

attachment.php
20180709_114408-800-B.jpg

The bottom photo is mine. I think a skyhook is at it's limit at 250 lbs, but they are rated at 500 lbs.

+1 to Bill D's idea. If you have the room around it to do so.

Alas my shop is too full to negotiate the gantry. Its performing duties outside removing roof racks off pickup trucks when they come in for a canvas canopy.

I used unistrut dual wheeled trolleys (3) and strut. Two 7 foot lengths at right angles to the lathe and one 7 foot longitudinal. That way I can load beside the lathe then move into position and slide along the entire bed. 500lb quality chain hoist on the longitudinal trolley. Finally I can use my 15 inch 4 jaw!

Die Cart is the other common name, basically a counterbalanced engine crane, so no underneath requirements, common for loading dies both stamping and injection molds, they kinda work great in the just too heavy to safely lift range, but your getting into dodgy territory with them even approaching a 1/4 ton. Key requirement for them though is reasonably nice smooth floors as there just on heavy castor like wheels normally.

RG-RC-500R_000.jpg

I use an electric 1200lb capacity 1950’s Big Joe type die cart, it’s about 24”x30” or so. I have no idea how I got along without it. I’m adding a jib and some retractable leg extensions to it sometime in the next few weeks. Before the electric Die cart, I used a cherry picker and most of the time it was a huge pain.

Back