What's new
What's new

Alternative for synthane

Blazemaster

Hot Rolled
I have a part to make and the original shows it was made from synthane. This is a part for a small crane to protect from shorting out, its basically a ring .312 thick 10" diameter. I am having some trouble locating synthane in a small quantity and wondering what a suitable alternative would be. I am not really a plastics guy but I do have some gpo3 in that size laying around. From my quick research it looks like that would work, just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks

So my quick google makes it look like Synthane is a manufacturer, with lots of different grades of material. No further specs on the drawing besides "Synthane"?

Here is a link to Synthane-Taylor's products:

Products & Materials – Synthane Taylor

"Synthane" is referencing the company name, rather than a specific product. Typically, an insulator ring might be made from a linen or canvas phenolic, if it needs to have some strength. If the ring is in a frictional or moving situation in the crane, I would opt for a phenolic as I mentioned, rather than the GPO-3, which is a polyester resin base with glass fiber filling (I think typically long-strand chopped glass fiber).
In my experience, GPO-3 is often used in non-moving electrical installations, such as for mounting circuit breakers and switchgear or similar devices. McMaster carries a line of "Garolite" in various grades, which is an umbrella term for their phenolic and fiberglass-reinforced plastic materials.

Yes the drawing I have just says "synthane ring". The old ring had pretty much turned to red dust so there wasn't much to identify. That makes sense about phenolic, that was my next choice if the gpo-3 wouldn't work. Thanks

Typically, an insulator ring might be made from a linen or canvas phenolic, if it needs to have some strength. If the ring is in a frictional or moving situation in the crane, I would opt for a phenolic as I mentioned, rather than the GPO-3, which is a polyester resin base with glass fiber filling (I think typically long-strand chopped glass fiber).
In my experience, GPO-3 is often used in non-moving electrical installations, such as for mounting circuit breakers and switchgear or similar devices. McMaster carries a line of "Garolite" in various grades, which is an umbrella term for their phenolic and fiberglass-reinforced plastic materials.
This is opposite from what I have learned, please explain some more.
http://www.haysite.com/products-processes/laminated-sheet

So gpo3 would work? It would save me about $50. Here is the drawing, part is item 2Screenshot (2).jpg By the way this is my own project, not for a customer.

Back