What's new
What's new

Expandable mandrel hone

toolsteel

Titanium
Working on something I have dealt very little with. Shop I am working ion uses a Diamond Sunnen hone that is mounted on an expandable mandrel to finish a tight tolerance bore in a production setting. It works pretty good. Until the new guy decides to adjust the expandable hone and over shoots it. My question....we have backed the adjustment screw out expecting to adjust the bore under size and then creep back up to the correct size. Unfortunately the hone/sleeve doesnt want to back off of the tapered mandrel......short of hitting it with something....how do i get it smaller?????

Slide hammer?

I didnt describe it well enough.
When you tighten the screw on the end it pushes a split sleeve further onto a solid tapered mandrel. What i need to do is loosen the screw and convince the split sleeve to slide back off of the tapered mandrel a small amount.

You would either back the tension way off and the feed way off, and just wiggle the part. Your stone may be too small for the bore, if the ramps on the expanding wedge can get stuck when the stone is in contact with the material. Try a larger mandrel, also try lower tension.

Sunnen sells a removal tool for that purpose. It goes over the arbor on at the finished end of the diamond sleeve. If you only over shot by 1/2 thou or less you should be able to pull it down and star over. Chances are you have one of the tools in the drawer that everybody has forgotten about. I think it is a cast iron body with a threaded rod in the end.

Sunnen sells a removal tool for that purpose. It goes over the arbor on at the finished end of the diamond sleeve. If you only over shot by 1/2 thou or less you should be able to pull it down and star over. Chances are you have one of the tools in the drawer that everybody has forgotten about. I think it is a cast iron body with a threaded rod in the end.

You nailed it.
Sorry it took me a bit to respond.
Right after I posted this thread I also emailed Sunnen and they had a tech guy call me back the next day. He said there is a tool made for that and most likely you will find one in a drawer somewhere. He directed me where I could look at one on their website and 10 minutes of searching we found it. It worked exactly as you said and did the job perfectly.....All good

Back