What's new
What's new

Aluminum chip scrap price

CGornet

Aluminum
Did a search and couldn't find anything current.

I have a whole bunch of 6061 chips that I need to get rid of and the best price I could find locally was .32/lb.

Curious what you are all getting for your chips.

Also, if that is low in value, who would you recommend in Southern California for processing?

Did a search and couldn't find anything current.

I have a whole bunch of 6061 chips that I need to get rid of and the best price I could find locally was .32/lb.

Curious what you are all getting for your chips.

Also, if that is low in value, who would you recommend in Southern California for processing?

I got .26 2 weeks ago.

When I was in So Cal I used to haul my scrap to two different places in Pomona, forget the names. That was about a 15 mile drive, I was based around the 15/60 interchange. I did check prices, I always considered vehicle cost and time when scraping. Here in Central Virginia a lot of places don't buy aluminum turnings and those that do currently pay 15 cents a pound.

Specialty Scrap picks up. Price might be the same, or might be a bit higher. Your price isn't horrible. I'm in San Diego, I think they are in Temecula.

First off, how much do you have? I just got .42/lb for 600 lbs. of chips and .60/lb for a 570 lbs. drum. of solids.

About 1500lbs in these bins, and another 1500 or so when the job is done.

Sounds like my price is right in the middle.

20 cents if the guy at the yard is in a bad mood.
32 cents if he's in a good mood.

Regards.

Mike

A lot of people seem to complain scrap yards try to cheat them, I have never felt that way. On the other hand the employees in the ones I go to seem to be jerks 75% of the time. 3/4 of them are not helpful and expect you to be a mind reader and also understand who they are yelling commands at when they are 50 yards away and 3 other customers and 3 employees are in your general area.

Had to update this thread because I haven't seen any estimates since the tariffs. What is everyone getting for their chips and scraps?

I just called a local scrapyard to pick up my chips, guy said maybe 20 cents per pound for a few hundred pounds. I'll check around more.

Had to update this thread because I haven't seen any estimates since the tariffs. What is everyone getting for their chips and scraps?

I just called a local scrapyard to pick up my chips, guy said maybe 20 cents per pound for a few hundred pounds. I'll check around more.

Last batch I dropped off I got a whopping $0.17. I guess I don't understand tariffs. I pay 25% more for my aluminum bars, then I get 25% less for the chips?

Regards.

Mike

Had some picked up today. 300 lbs got $.30/lb. I've been dealing with these guys for a while. He said prices are down, time of year. He said the mills shut down for a while, so they can't sell direct to the mill. They sell to middleman, who stores for a while, then sells to the mill in Feb. So in theory, prices should go back up in Feb/March. :)
Purchase prices have been going up some when buying. I used to be able to get stuff from Fry or EMJ at what I thought was decent prices. Lately Fry has only had maybe 10-20 percent of what I wanted in stock. Just regular sizes too. I'm guessing I need to expand the quote list.......

I just hauled 1400 lbs of chips today and received $0.15. Got $0.30 for solid. Googled a little and saw prices all over, most all higher than what I got.

Back