What's new
What's new

Aluminum motor plate adaptor

beckerkumm

Hot Rolled
I'm replacing the motor on my Smart Brown 1024. The original was an odd size so I made a plate out of 3/4" jig plate for the 100 lb motor to hang from. After threading the 3/8" holes I read that jig plate is probably not the best choice. Should I enlarge the holes and use inserts, bore a recess in the back side for a jam nut to add strength to the existing threads, or none of the above? Thanks, Dave

I'm replacing the motor on my Smart Brown 1024. The original was an odd size so I made a plate out of 3/4" jig plate for the 100 lb motor to hang from. After threading the 3/8" holes I read that jig plate is probably not the best choice. Should I enlarge the holes and use inserts, bore a recess in the back side for a jam nut to add strength to the existing threads, or none of the above? Thanks, Dave

It will be fine, use it as is.

If the bolts are fully engaged for 3/4 inch they will be fine. For steel one bolt diameter for aluminum 2 bolt diameters are recommended minimums. If you want use extra long bolts and put a nut and washer on the free end. Use a nylock nut for good measure.
Bill D

my .02 on this is it should be just fine, but if it keeps you awake at night, some fairly inexpensive thread inserts would provide some added strength. If the motor is a real pain to R&R it might be worth the extra time/cost.

Whatever shit aluminum you could buy in plate form is probably 10 times better than the putty grade shit GM uses in their Northstar V8's and Atlas inline engine blocks. They run the 11mm torque to yield bolts right into the soft shit and it lasts for quite awhile considering.

Whatever shit aluminum you could buy in plate form is probably 10 times better than the putty grade shit GM uses in their Northstar V8's and Atlas inline engine blocks. They run the 11mm torque to yield bolts right into the soft shit and it lasts for quite awhile considering.

Don't candy coat it, tell us how you really feel!

Back