What's new
What's new

Aluminum Pie Jaws for 8" Chuck

atomarc

Diamond
I have a customer that has a 8"-3 jaw chuck, American Standard T & G pattern. He has 12" 'Monster Jaws' on it now but needs larger jaws.

It seems that 8" chucks top out at 12" pie jaws with all the sources I could dig up. Larger diameter pie jaws only fit larger diameter chucks as the T & G dimensions change.

I'm planning on fabricating 'add on' sections to gain the 15" diameter I think I need. Am I missing the boat on this..are there pie jaws available and I just haven't found them?:confused:

This is a 'woodworker' application so although the swinging diameter is pretty big, the severity of that application is minor, at least that's how it appears to me.

Stuart

That's probably the max without being custom - who is it that has 12" jaws?

I've made skeleton pie jaws by flame cutting arcs from plate steel and welding them to steel soft jaws, perhaps that's an option?

I have a customer that has a 8"-3 jaw chuck, American Standard T & G pattern. He has 12" 'Monster Jaws' on it now but needs larger jaws.

It seems that 8" chucks top out at 12" pie jaws with all the sources I could dig up. Larger diameter pie jaws only fit larger diameter chucks as the T & G dimensions change.
If you haven't already had the opportunity, the ladner.fr catalog lists an astonishing range of jaws & tops, with dimensions, and.. offers custom fab. They have a competitor in Spain, another in Italy, all "chuck and jaw focussed. Probably more-yet, out in CNC-supplier-land, but it's a decent catalogue as an info source.

Your own fab will almost certainly be less-costly.

This is a 'woodworker' application so although the swinging diameter is pretty big, the severity of that application is minor, at least that's how it appears to me.

Stuart

Yaz, if.. "metal" turning lathe, "metal" style tool MOUNT, use of carriage, cross, and compound for positioning. That should be safe enough. Even if a mis-step is made, there'll just be HCS cutter damage to the jawtops. BFD.

Legacy wood turning, hand-held graver?

What happens if/as/when the operator departs the forgiving wood being "sheared" and the graver hits the grabbier metal jawtop, outboard of the wood?

Or can it even do that?

2CW

who is it that has 12" jaws?

Right now he has 'Monster' brand jaws. The jaws for a 8" chuck safely allow opening to a 12" OD on the pies..at least that's my understanding.

The available pie jaws are shown for each chuck diameter.

Stuart

In an attempt to keep the cost down for this little 'fix', and after looking at pictures of a set of 12" jaws, it almost looks like it would be possible to re-drill the mounting holes on the pies to locate them further out on the T&G jaw carriers. I only need to scoot them out 2".

When I get the parts-in-hand I'll see if that theory holds water...:)

I think "Monster" quoted $1000 clams for a custom set of these little suckers..wow! The 12" set the customer has now were only $160 dollars I believe.

Stuart

In an attempt to keep the cost down for this little 'fix', and after looking at pictures of a set of 12" jaws, it almost looks like it would be possible to re-drill the mounting holes on the pies to locate them further out on the T&G jaw carriers. I only need to scoot them out 2".

When I get the parts-in-hand I'll see if that theory holds water...:)

I think "Monster" quoted $1000 clams for a custom set of these little suckers..wow! The 12" set the customer has now were only $160 dollars I believe.

Stuart

ISTR that you have previously posted a few more-than-slighty-clever complex fixtures you had fabbed?

If anyone is getting a grand or better for these goods, seem to me you have a bizness opportunity.

Not at no $160, mind. But a whole grand for ignorant pie jaws? In common shiney-wood, yet?

That BEGS competition!

Back