What's new
What's new

Aluminum pipe wall thickness

Zainu

Plastic
Hello friends,
I need the clarification needed for aluminium tube wall thickness.
Material : aluminium
Pipe size : OD 20mm, length 400mm
Pressure : 30 psi
source Material : 100 degree celcius pressure hot water(cooling tower)

1-How much wall thickness needed?
2-which grade aluminum best for the above purpose ?

friends Please give the answer

Are you going to have a special run of pipe made just for you ?
How about fittings ?

simply spec schedule 40 normal pipe, in alum.

Two things come to mind. The first being the OP doesn't understand that pipe is speced by schedule number and sized roughly on the ID. Tubing, on the other hand is, speced by OD and wall thickness. So, the OP needs to do his homework. Secondly, aluminum, of any alloy is a terrible material for hot water. Aluminum is very reactive in an electrolyte, like water. The OP needs to think 304 or 316 SS.

i doubt there will be steam at 30 pst and 100 degrees celsius.

possibly, but 100 deg C is the temperature at which water flashes to steam and a slight rise in temperature (which can be caused by a change in pressure ) results in steam, the treatment and handling of which is a whole new ball game.

And once again - excepting IC engines** etc - aluminium and it's alloys is NOT a suitable material for steam or very hot water.

** I could be wrong, but I've never heard of a water cooled IC engine running at 30PSIG

It always frightens me when I see a post like this. Someone who is obviously NOT a trained engineer is trying to cobble together a system and is doing so in a manner that the engineering community has determined is problematic (shown by not using it). In too many of these cases, people, INNOCENT people get hurt.

I would suggest to the OP that he either, at the very least, work with engineering norms OR get a qualified engineer to do the design. I know he is in India and the same standards may not apply there, BUT INDIANS are people too and they deserve the protection of properly designed systems that they may come in contact with.

Pure water at sea level. I had a hell of a time making good pasta until I figured out what was going on.
Even when I moved from 3900ft to 4600ft, it all changed again.

True Bob, BOTOH experience has taught me that very hot water (aka at about boiling point) and steam is not to be messed with.

If anyone doubts that statement , place the palm of your hand over the spout of a boiling kettle! ……………and you will soon discover that steam scalds and burns not only hurt a little bit more, they take a long time to heal.

True Bob, BOTOH experience has taught me that very hot water (aka at about boiling point) and steam is not to be messed with.

If anyone doubts that statement , place the palm of your hand over the spout of a boiling kettle! ……………and you will soon discover that steam scalds and burns not only hurt a little bit more, they take a long time to heal.

Steam is NASTY!!!!! In my previous life when I worked in a nursing home kitchen, we had a steamer. The thing was awesome, for doing all kinds of things. The exhaust pipe on that steamer was only about as high as the top of it, and we used to keep our tasting spoons up there. I don't remember why, but I was coming around the corner and grabbed for a tasting spoon, and my arm went right over the exhaust. F'd my forearm up, hurt like a son of a bitch. One of the nurses got me some of the cream they were using on a burn victim on one of the rehab units.. That helped. They insisted I go to the clinic. I refused, I just wanted to go home..

I finally convinced them to let me go home. It was a Monday, in November and the Atlanta cup race (season finale) had been postponed due to rain. I got home approximately 37 seconds before the green flag dropped.

It was a perfect day to learn how much steam HURTS... Earnhardt was 2nd.

possibly, but 100 deg C is the temperature at which water flashes to steam and a slight rise in temperature (which can be caused by a change in pressure ) results in steam, the treatment and handling of which is a whole new ball game.

And once again - excepting IC engines** etc - aluminium and it's alloys is NOT a suitable material for steam or very hot water.

** I could be wrong, but I've never heard of a water cooled IC engine running at 30PSIG

We ran a 2.65L Cosworth V8 Indy car engine as high as 36 psi on a regular basis.

Hi Zainu, i am not giving engineering advice but share something fyi.
we once manufactured an aluminum tube part for a customer. air and water will go through the tube. They used AL6061-T6. In the project SEAMLESS tube out of cold drawn technology is required. Hope it's helpful.

Note:SEAMLESS technology is very important. It should not be extruded.

Back