What's new
What's new

Aluminum sheetmetal alloy questions

matt_isserstedt

Diamond
So I am designing some trays for a production kitting setup, have around 30 total to be jobbed out. Nothing exotic, around 6" wide, 2" tall, 8" long, 4 sides. Seems like an easy finger brake job and we have no such capability where I work.

It looks like 3003 and 6061 are commonly available around here looking at Alro catalog. I was going to spec .062/.063" thick material, just not sure if I'm opening myself to cracking problems at the root with 6061 and a typical finger brake sharp bend? I do need to do some light tig welding of other brackets once the trays are completed, that part we can do in-house. I have welded almost all 6061 in my life, not sure if 3003 is going to present any issues?

Aside: I had made the prototypes out of plexiglass but the 2 part epoxy I first used barely stuck and the trays fell apart under testing. I went back with superglue and that was better but sketchy as well. These probably won't get abused but are going to get a lot of cycles. Thinking metal is a much better choice as it will last forever and we can repair it without a new set of chemicals.

Thanks for your thoughts.

3003 will not give you any problems. 6061 will survive a 90 degree bend as long as the radius isn't too tight, but is the part stressed after bending? I've got the 3003 on the shelf in Belleville and can cut, bend and weld it for you. We've got one of those fancy pulse arc mig welders for aluminum....and that thickness should be fine.

If people will be reaching into the trays frequently, you may want to make an additional flange at the top edge to "soften" them, and reduce the risk of cuts/scrapes on the tray edges. Or, use some edge gasket like this from McMaster: 24175K12 Even tape over the edges will help.

If you're getting standard T6 H/T on the 6061, you may get some crazing with a sharp 90 bend. If you get T0 it will bend without issue, or, set the fingers back a little to get a small radius at the inside corners.

Back