What's new
What's new

Aluminum "the word"

bluearc

Aluminum
Over the past 30 yrs in my welding shop I've heard the word, do you weld; alumamum, or lumamin, or lumumum, or lunamin, or alumin and of course aluminum.

Question is, has anyone else heard any other pronounciations to add to this list??

Is the peak of the Washington Monument topped with what WAS a very exotic metal?

Aluminion was said multiple time on some British car show. Drove me nuts

In Canada we pronounce it as you do in the States. Perhaps instead we should feel grateful to their tolerance of our mispronunciation.... deferring to the English on the subject of English pronunciation.

The preferred international IUPAC spelling is aluminium. This seems to be a fair tradeoff to me for accepting the preferred spelling of sulfur for the element that I know as sulphur;).

The one that gets me in all the US TV programs is 'SOLDER' pronounced 'SODDER' whereas, oddly enough we pronounce it SOLDER with the 'L' which, as I understand it, is how you spell it anyway.

In Canada we pronounce it as you do in the States. Perhaps instead we should feel grateful to their tolerance of our mispronunciation.... deferring to the English on the subject of English pronunciation.

Well, if they'd have pronounced stuff right, we wouldn't have to correct them.

Seriously, I can live with either aluminum or aluminium, but where the hell did the "f" come from in lieutenant?

Well yes of course - the proper spelling and pronunciation is Aluminium, just like Titanium, Beryllium, Niobium etc etc.

Well yes of course - the proper spelling and pronunciation is Aluminum, just like Platinum, Tantalum, Lanthanum etc etc.*

*I admit, I can't find any others to represent "etc etc"

Back