What's new
What's new

Amada HA-400 keeps throwing the blade off the inside

Parkerbender

Stainless
Hey guys, working on this new (pretty darn used) saw, and I got it to run for a few minutes, and now it just wants to throw the blade off the inside of the drive pulley. Does anybody know if there is any adjustment on that pulley or the guides that would help this situation? I have taken apart the guides and cleaned them all out, and tried turning the speed up and down to see if I could trick it into running for a bit and it just plain doesnt want to...

Anyone have any ideas?
8118ae9289a45729fba9be1975a6ff3d.jpg
d345681edd3e40f6383ec30aa645301c.jpg
c8e2edfb5b7a97b3f7e8eae0c21277f5.jpg
b8c528ae7f27323597eaf32ecdb40a75.jpg

If you haven't already, try adjusting the tension. It may not be high enough. Otherwise, look for a tracking/alignment adjustment on the non-drive wheel. It's possible that adjustment has to be made from the outside of the saw.

looks for adjustments one would think it has some.

Other thing i thought of are the drive and follower wheels crowned ? and has the crown been worn down considering its well used.
Whats a new machine wheel face look like? would be a good place to go have a look see.

Possibly recrown the wheels if they are meant to have a crown in the first place.

There is no crown in a wheel for a band saw with a fixed blade width.

Three likely possibilities come to mind. Either the bearings for the drive shaft are worn allowing the wheel to tip, the drive wheel is worn tapered, or the blade was welded crooked.

What size blade does it use?

Is it happening in a cut or just when you turn it on?

A dull blade will jump off in a cut. If it happens when you turn it on, I'm with Sfriedburg- too low blade tension or misalignment of the wheel- usually that adjustment is done from the other side with set screws and jam nuts.

I think Amada will email the manual in pdf if you call them.

That was parr of why I threw the pictures in, I both cannot see anywhere to adjust the tracking or the tension. The hydraulic blade tensioner has an onn/off valve, and I can see no adjustment for the driven wheel to tilt it. The crown on the drive wheel is still noticable, and the bearings seem solid as frig. I have the factory manual thag doesnt address either tracking or tension. I think I am gonna jump the Amada guys at IMTS and will report back!

You can check the blade guides. There should be an adjustment there for how much it pushes down on the blade. Perhaps it is pushing down too much.

Your picture of the tensioning cylinder shows what may be a tracking screw opposite the cylinder.

Pump might be worn out. The pump pressure should be 780psi IIRC. But when an Amada pump wears out the blade will stop moving and the feed continues. Wheels can wear a taper in the from use and chips. They may need to be resurfaced.

Back