What's new
What's new

OT: Alternative to Uline for cardboard boxes/ship supplies?

david n

Diamond
O' course everything is going up $$$$............just want to shop around for shipping supplies. A place in Iowa(?) was mentioned in a thread a while back but I can't find it? Any body have a good source for packaging supplies? TIA

I went to ULINE a while back and decided Walmart was cheaper. I havent checked prices in a while but I do grab 5-10 boxes almost everytime I go to Walmart just by habit. I think shipping kills the deals. Even Amazon had some poor quality boxes that werent any cheaper overall.

Good Luck

I assume that the USPS has four or five box sizes that are completely free. They will even deliver them, also free. And almost every time I check, their prices are the lowest or close to it. So if you can save $1 or $2 on the box, you are almost always ahead.

I know that the major shipping companies also have boxes, but I do not know if they provide them free or if you must pay for them. And, again they only have small sizes.

Unfortunately, they do not have the larger sizes.

Another way to package small items is those foam envelopes. I like to use two: an inner and an outer. That provides a lot of protection. I keep a stack of used ones in my shop at all times. Or a used foam one inside and a shipper's cardboard envelope on the outside. But this is also limited to smaller items.

I did not look at their prices, but McMaster does sell cardboard boxes:

McMaster-Carr

They have a large volume so often their shipping costs are lower than others.

Of course qty makes a difference but
I use Staples, Walmart and Lowes for the majority of my shipments. They are my box warehouse
USPS priority which are free, and knowing the A B regional system/rules/rates can be a cost savings
I also keep large flat "stock" from incoming shipments for box reinforcement and custom size boxes.
Almost as much as the box are the bubble wrap, peanuts, paper and foam pieces to protect the contents(95% recycled, every incoming shipment makes a donation to the supply)
A semi auto tape dispenser for box taping makes for a more secure box with a tape gun with clear tape for the label (buying in qty on Ebay the cheapest)

Back