What's new
What's new

Ammco 2002 Brake Lathe Control Question

WadeK

Plastic
Hi everybody,
Been a long time since I've been here. I recently picked up an non-working Ammco 2002 computer control brake lathe for a can't go wrong price. Problem is in the control box - it will jog both the spindle and feed but the spindle won't turn and the cross and spindle feeds don't work. The main motor does work - it turns fine when dc voltage was applied. Also, the wiring diagram in the manual I picked up does not match the lathe I have. I'm thinking there was more than one version, but I wouldn't bet much money on it. If mine was messed with, it looks factory. I was wondering if by some very slim chance someone may have a working replacement part for the lathe or know someone who works on them.

I was thinking a more likely scenario would be to ditch the existing control setup and use new or used DC motor controllers. Any insights on making up such a setup and where to buy the controllers? I don't want to spend too much because it may not take too long before just getting an Ammco 4000 will make more sense money-wise. I've been told they can be had pretty cheap if I look in the right places.

Thanks a lot, Wade
70289942_2669282536429476_2652395678285692928_o.jpg

Have you tried contacting ammco directly?

I'd just buy a manual machine with all the adapters used personally.

Is there a "manual" aspect to this machine? Make sure boring bar for drums is fully retracted before trying to use disc cutter, my manual machine will not work in disk mode till drum cutter is fully retracted, just an idea from someone that has never used that machine.

Is there a "manual" aspect to this machine? Make sure boring bar for drums is fully retracted before trying to use disc cutter, my manual machine will not work in disk mode till drum cutter is fully retracted, just an idea from someone that has never used that machine.

There is no manual aspect at all; all feeds are controlled by the DC motors. Retraction doesn't affect it as far as I've seen and from reading the manual. Boring bars and disk cutters both mount in the same spot, so the machine is set up for one or the other and the cross feed needs to move anyway to cut drums.

Thanks to all so far

Without seeing what controls what, its kind of hard to say. Have you checked to make sure that shut off switch is engaging/disengaging? If any limit switches check those. Maybe get a can of electrical contact cleaner and spray the switches on the board?

70251113_2669282549762808_7018674176022020096_n.jpg
70292916_2669282509762812_8829907570312347648_n.jpg
Here's a couple more pictures. You probably can't tell much though. The spindle feed limit switch stops the spindle feed as its supposed to. I'm not real sure if the on/off/emergency off is supposed to be a true on-off or not. The manual says to rotate it before turning the machine on with the main breaker type switch. It seems like all that does is to ensure the its not stuck in the emergency off position. When I jump the hot wires to bypass the switch it doesn't have any effect except leave no way for the spindle to turn at all. I'll try some contact cleaner.

Hola vivo en mexico, no hablo ingles , pero yo te puedo reparar tu torno ammco 2002 computarizado

Looks like you may have a buyer or possible repair.
He says " hello, live in mexico, don't speak English., but I can repair your Ammco lathe 2002 computer.

Back