What's new
What's new

Angled step clamps

pineapple1

Plastic
Good morning! I'm having trouble locating a source for angled step clamps (not sure what else to call them). You can see them in the photo below. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find these individual clamps. I found them as part of a larger "universal clamping set", but I really just need to buy the angled clamps themselves. Any thoughts? THANKS!
angle_clamps.jpg

My first thought would be to identify the brand and maybe the part number. Was there any documentation with the set you bought?

If the set is from China and unbranded it is probably imported only as a set.

I've been around for a looong time and worked in many different shops and have never seen any thing like that, they might be home made, and it looks like the toothed end of the strap is machined on a radius.

High dollar stuff. Never seen anything like them. Lightning holes in the step blocks. Doubt seriously that they'd be Chinese. Too much work for them. Looks more like something that would have been in an old SPI catalog.
JR

Hm... I don't actually own these, I just came across them on a Google image search and thought they'd be ideal for what I'm trying to do (very similar to what is shown). I did a reverse image search and found them available from Alibaba. Looks like they're made in Slovenia. If I can't find these exact clamps, I could use something similar.

Essentially, I'm trying to machine the face of a long aluminum plate that is already elevated off the table.

pineapple1, I've not seen angled ones like that, but fully horizontal ones with a cylindrical "peg" nose to stick into workpiece recesses are not real rare. However, a quick catalog search only finds peg-nose strap clamps with plain ends or open fork (U-shaped) ends rather than step block ends.

I HAVE to say this....
Clamps should always be parallel to base or slightly downward.
Never up hill to work piece.
Stud should be on center of clamp or closer to work piece.

One of my first lessons as a Tool Maker Apprentice in 1978......

I HAVE to say this....

These are not clamps in the typical sense...parallel to the workpiece would negate the effect this clamping arrangement is producing. The slight upward angle produces a pinch and pull downward effort holding the workpiece tight on the jacks and stable on the work table. Look again..you'll see it.

Stuart

I HAVE to say this....

If they were angled downward while biting on the side of the workpiece they would be pulling out and away from the workpiece. No bite.

ETA: too slow by a second or two

If you look at the set up you will see the clamps and studs are at nearly normal position as clamped. I can see how that set up would be desired in certain instances. I would like to have a set myself. Would need to make them rather than buy as foreign source might not engage with my step block serrations.
I think I would have had a more solid base for the example pictured than jack screws, though. That looks to be a bit unsteady if any deep cuts were to be made. Bet it was hairy to get it clamped with the jacks and angled pressure of the clamping. Along with keeping the part aligned with the table motion. But then, I have made set ups with "stops" that I removed before machining.

Teco either makes/made them, or they know of them, and the marketing department wasn't interested in them.

Just a WAG on my part.

Send that photo to somebody at Teco (who is expecting the email), and see what they can suggest/offer.

I realize Teco isn't the only maker of quality clamps, but I suspect if Teco doesn't make them, they know who does.

Back