What's new
What's new

Anilam Mini Wizard DRO - Scale not reading

BenTerrible

Aluminum
I have an Anilam Mini Wizard DRO on my Bridgeport and I am having trouble with the Y-axis readout. I fear I need to spend the money on new Acu-rite scales, but I am hoping this isn't the case.

The Y-axis suddenly stopped counting. Running the Y-axis in/out, the DRO flickers. No counting, just sporadically jumping from .0000 to .0001, back and forth. I tore apart the scale and cleaned the glass with isopropyl alcohol, no signs of damage/scratches. I also cleaned the reader and checked alignment. Put everything back together and had the DRO working flawlessly.

Today I went down to the shop and decided to flip the switch on the DRO just to make sure the Y-axis was still good and much to my disappointment, it seems to have the same issue. This is the 6 pin round plug for the Anilam scales.

I did swap plugs on X/Y into the back of the DRO monitor and eliminated the idea of the display being the issue.

Does anybody have any ideas or perhaps a connection for a new Anilam reader by chance?

Thanks!

-BT

I believe this is an A10 system. I will grab some photos later today for clarification. The label on the scale reads "System A", the label on the readers are "A10". The DRO is a Miniwizard.

Appreciate the help! Looking at new scales/readers for replacement. This might get pricey!

you can buy Sino and other import glass scales for $65-100 that will work just fine with anilam/acurite displays . just
make sure to get the right config, as in 5v TTL square wave, etc. then you need a compatible connector - my anilam wizard 2
uses DB-9 connectors, but some use a round amphenol plug.

2Axis/3Axis Digital Readout DRO Display Linear Scale Encoder for Milling Lathe | eBay
5.c100005.m1851

the new scales are very good quality- no reason to pay 10x the price for new acurite scales for a 40 yr old dro

edit:
nothing coming from china these days. plenty of usa sellers to buy from.

Last edited:

Back