annealing aluminum with a plumbers torch - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Annealing with a torch may or may not work. The trick to hot bend aluminum is not to overheat it because there is no color change to guide us. An old timer's trick is to take a small piece of Eastern white pine and rub it on the aluminum as you heat it. When it leaves a black smear the aluminum is at the right temperature for safe bending. I've straightened a lot of stuff that way, especially when I rode off-road motorcycles. Straightening bent levers and pedals often got the bike back in service while waiting for replacement parts to come in. After replacing the parts I usually kept the straightened parts for emergency spares.
    It's especially handy when your off-road motorcycle crashes head on into an eastern white pine and bends shit..the handy pitch is..uh, at hand.

Stuart

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Realise that very little soap is sold in stores today. Soap is made from tallow which is rendered fat. Most 'soap" today is a petroleum base waxy substance or soybean based. There is a reason it is called laundry detergent not laundry soap. Or dish washing liquid not dish soap.
    I suppose any of these products will have various char temperatures.
    Many here are confusing heat with temperature. a real plumbers torch, running on gasoline, will have much more heat energy then most propane or even acetlyene torches. But a gasoline torch runs cooler. it can can not melt iron to weld.
    Bil lD

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

so you have seen a propane torch melt iron (mild steel)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boslab View Post
    Rub with white soap bar, heat till it blackens the old fashioned way!
    Mark
    Sorry limy,and others poor reading skills must be the CoViD
    That's OK, Mark. Did you learn the trick at secondary school like Sami and I did?

George B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Soap is made from tallow which is rendered fat. Most 'soap" today is a petroleum base waxy substance or soybean based.
    Bill, I can't answer for the US but here in the UK there are still plenty of traditional soaps available. I use a plain vegetable soap at home from the local supermarket, so when I need a marker for annealing I just borrow the soap from the bathroom.

George B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Georgineer View Post
    Bill, I can't answer for the US but here in the UK there are still plenty of traditional soaps available. I use a plain vegetable soap at home from the local supermarket, so when I need a marker for annealing I just borrow the soap from the bathroom.

George B.
    I've also used high quality soap as an anti-scale when heat treating tool steel with a torch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no idea on how common real soap is. Just wantted to let readers know that at least some soap is not soap. As they say results may vary.
    Bil lD