Annular cutter in milling chuck
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    68
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Annular cutter in milling chuck

    Would like to be able to use annular cutters on a CAT40 milling machine. Would a milling chuck like this with a 3/4 collet hold the annular cutter well? They are quoting 425ft lb holding power for 1” milling chuck. Thanks in advance.

    Techniks CAT, BT, HSK Standard Milling Chucks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 67070c86-7c8e-437d-b5fd-29ad0cdaf6ab.jpg  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    760
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    317
    Likes (Received)
    463

    Default

    Should work fine. I use them a lot in an R-8 collet. If the cutter is in good shape and not huge, they go through most suitable materials with little effort.

  3. Likes PT Doc liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Langley, B.C.
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    320
    Likes (Received)
    930

    Default

    Or you could just use a 3/4" end mill holder with a setscrew. You may have to shorten the holder a bit
    because the setscrew flat on an annular cutter is closer to the end than on a regular endmill. Except for
    that it will work fine...

  5. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    18,189
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13712
    Likes (Received)
    13675

    Default

    At 425 ft/lb ? ……………..if it doesn't mankind is in big trouble


    FWIW I've used 40 mm annulars in ER32 on a 30Int taper - with no problem at all

  7. Likes Gordon Heaton, PT Doc liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    68
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default

    That is a possibility but would need modification and screwing around with. Will try the Techniks milling chuck first and or Er40 collet chuck. Thanks you.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Owl's Head, Maine
    Posts
    2,176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    336
    Likes (Received)
    574

    Default

    One set of annular cutters I have mount on a 3-flat shank, meaning a good hold in a 3-jaw scroll chuck.

    -Marty-

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,673
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3282
    Likes (Received)
    3462

    Default

    I used to sharpen annular cutters and think the shank is hard so an end mill holder would be better..or just something better that a collet. Agree with care and not crazy in-feed a collet would be OK.

    They seem to cut like a center cutting end mill so not as difficult to turn that a two flute drill.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    9,913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2579

    Default

    they sell annular cutter adapter holders made to hold spring and the point that ejects slugs. used in magnetic base drills and drill press.
    .
    that way you dont have to pry out slug. it suppose to eject slug automatically
    .
    annualr cutter adapter - Google Search

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Alabama/Georgia
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    they sell annular cutter adapter holders made to hold spring and the point that ejects slugs. used in magnetic base drills and drill press.
    .
    that way you dont have to pry out slug. it suppose to eject slug automatically
    .
    annualr cutter adapter - Google Search
    I never had any issues ejecting slugs with gravity with my Milwaukee steel hawg annular cutters. They cut from the outside in, so when they break through, the slug has enough of a flange on it that it does not slide inside the cutters- seen this drilling 3” holes in 3/8” 1018, and 1-3/16 in 1” A36 ( in other words with slugs ranging from disc-like to cylinders.

    In fact in gang drilling, you have pull the first slug out to drill through the second piece. Otherwise it makes a great thrust bearing.

    Same behavior on both a mill and Milwaukee full side mag drill.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    9,913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by country_boy View Post
    I never had any issues ejecting slugs with gravity with my Milwaukee steel hawg annular cutters. They cut from the outside in, so when they break through, the slug has enough of a flange on it that it does not slide inside the cutters- seen this drilling 3” holes in 3/8” 1018, and 1-3/16 in 1” A36 ( in other words with slugs ranging from disc-like to cylinders.

    In fact in gang drilling, you have pull the first slug out to drill through the second piece. Otherwise it makes a great thrust bearing.

    Same behavior on both a mill and Milwaukee full side mag drill.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i have easily drilled many 1000's of holes with annular cutters even with ejector spring i have had many slugs not eject and need a little prying with a screw driver whether they were getting dull or hot hard to say
    .
    rough guess per 1000 holes maybe 20 slugs didnt auto eject and needed help. still annoying. without spring ejector i would say you would get much more slug sticking like easily 100x more. never would even consider not using the spring ejector seeing how its designed to be used with one

  14. Likes adama liked this post
  15. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Alabama/Georgia
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    i have easily drilled many 1000's of holes with annular cutters even with ejector spring i have had many slugs not eject and need a little prying with a screw driver whether they were getting dull or hot hard to say
    .
    rough guess per 1000 holes maybe 20 slugs didnt auto eject and needed help. still annoying. without spring ejector i would say you would get much more slug sticking like easily 100x more. never would even consider not using the spring ejector seeing how its designed to be used with one
    I was specifically referring to the Milwaukee steel hawg- I’m sure other annular cutters don’t cut the same, and god knows a hole saw sure doesn’t. With the Milwaukee cutters ( I’m sure they are available under another brand) I’ve drilled probally 500-1000 holes- never removed a slug- never even though about what a PITA it would be either. Only used maybe 4 sizes, but after buying the first few retail, I was able to accumulate a set on eBay,

    I saved about a 100 slugs left behind by the 1-3/16 cutter, and ended up smothing the flash like flange and let my son have them as blocks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    1,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    683
    Likes (Received)
    571

    Default

    What is s “milling chuck”? Also, funny no one calls it a Weldon shank?

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    106

    Default

    Isn't a milling chuck collet supposed to have a full length, full round shank tool inserted? I have been under the impression that the collet has to have full contact to keep it from deforming. A side lock, Weldon, holder seems OK. I use annular cutters in R8 collets all the time and have no problems.

    Ed.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •