Annular cutter in milling chuck
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Annular cutter in milling chuck

Would like to be able to use annular cutters on a CAT40 milling machine. Would a milling chuck like this with a 3/4 collet hold the annular cutter well? They are quoting 425ft lb holding power for 1” milling chuck. Thanks in advance.

Techniks CAT, BT, HSK Standard Milling Chucks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 67070c86-7c8e-437d-b5fd-29ad0cdaf6ab.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Should work fine. I use them a lot in an R-8 collet. If the cutter is in good shape and not huge, they go through most suitable materials with little effort.

3. Likes PT Doc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or you could just use a 3/4" end mill holder with a setscrew. You may have to shorten the holder a bit
    because the setscrew flat on an annular cutter is closer to the end than on a regular endmill. Except for
    that it will work fine...

5. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At 425 ft/lb ? ……………..if it doesn't mankind is in big trouble

FWIW I've used 40 mm annulars in ER32 on a 30Int taper - with no problem at all

7. Likes Gordon Heaton, PT Doc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a possibility but would need modification and screwing around with. Will try the Techniks milling chuck first and or Er40 collet chuck. Thanks you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One set of annular cutters I have mount on a 3-flat shank, meaning a good hold in a 3-jaw scroll chuck.

-Marty-

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to sharpen annular cutters and think the shank is hard so an end mill holder would be better..or just something better that a collet. Agree with care and not crazy in-feed a collet would be OK.

They seem to cut like a center cutting end mill so not as difficult to turn that a two flute drill.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

they sell annular cutter adapter holders made to hold spring and the point that ejects slugs. used in magnetic base drills and drill press.
    that way you dont have to pry out slug. it suppose to eject slug automatically
    annualr cutter adapter - Google Search

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    they sell annular cutter adapter holders made to hold spring and the point that ejects slugs. used in magnetic base drills and drill press.
    that way you dont have to pry out slug. it suppose to eject slug automatically
    annualr cutter adapter - Google Search
    I never had any issues ejecting slugs with gravity with my Milwaukee steel hawg annular cutters. They cut from the outside in, so when they break through, the slug has enough of a flange on it that it does not slide inside the cutters- seen this drilling 3” holes in 3/8” 1018, and 1-3/16 in 1” A36 ( in other words with slugs ranging from disc-like to cylinders.

In fact in gang drilling, you have pull the first slug out to drill through the second piece. Otherwise it makes a great thrust bearing.

Same behavior on both a mill and Milwaukee full side mag drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by country_boy View Post
    I never had any issues ejecting slugs with gravity with my Milwaukee steel hawg annular cutters. They cut from the outside in, so when they break through, the slug has enough of a flange on it that it does not slide inside the cutters- seen this drilling 3” holes in 3/8” 1018, and 1-3/16 in 1” A36 ( in other words with slugs ranging from disc-like to cylinders.

In fact in gang drilling, you have pull the first slug out to drill through the second piece. Otherwise it makes a great thrust bearing.

Same behavior on both a mill and Milwaukee full side mag drill.

i have easily drilled many 1000's of holes with annular cutters even with ejector spring i have had many slugs not eject and need a little prying with a screw driver whether they were getting dull or hot hard to say
    rough guess per 1000 holes maybe 20 slugs didnt auto eject and needed help. still annoying. without spring ejector i would say you would get much more slug sticking like easily 100x more. never would even consider not using the spring ejector seeing how its designed to be used with one

14. Likes adama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    i have easily drilled many 1000's of holes with annular cutters even with ejector spring i have had many slugs not eject and need a little prying with a screw driver whether they were getting dull or hot hard to say
    rough guess per 1000 holes maybe 20 slugs didnt auto eject and needed help. still annoying. without spring ejector i would say you would get much more slug sticking like easily 100x more. never would even consider not using the spring ejector seeing how its designed to be used with one
    I was specifically referring to the Milwaukee steel hawg- I’m sure other annular cutters don’t cut the same, and god knows a hole saw sure doesn’t. With the Milwaukee cutters ( I’m sure they are available under another brand) I’ve drilled probally 500-1000 holes- never removed a slug- never even though about what a PITA it would be either. Only used maybe 4 sizes, but after buying the first few retail, I was able to accumulate a set on eBay,

I saved about a 100 slugs left behind by the 1-3/16 cutter, and ended up smothing the flash like flange and let my son have them as blocks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is s “milling chuck”? Also, funny no one calls it a Weldon shank?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Isn't a milling chuck collet supposed to have a full length, full round shank tool inserted? I have been under the impression that the collet has to have full contact to keep it from deforming. A side lock, Weldon, holder seems OK. I use annular cutters in R8 collets all the time and have no problems.

Ed.