What's new
What's new

Another blind internal keyway.

daredo222

Cast Iron
I had to make a shaft extension for the motor shaft, photo 1, 20ø, 6mm keyway, 32mm blind bore.

Photo 2 is the extension before cutting the keyway.

No cutter grinder or surface grinder.

I had a piece of ¼” square HSS, long enough to reach down the hole & be clamped but it looked a bit weak to get to the bottom of a 32mm deep hole. I thought about trying to cut a short piece of & clamping it in a bar but couldn’t come up with a sensible arrangement that would let me get right down the blind bore to the centre line of the cross-hole. I came up with the following:
With a carbide endmill I took .33mm off one side of the ¼” square HSS, cut like dream & got the size to 6.02 mm. Then I made the “shoe”, photos 3 & 4, turned & milled from a piece of mild steel, the slot was size to size with the 6.02 dimension. With this the HSS tool cannot deflect left or right or spring back without bending the supporting shoe. The clamping screws on the slotting head on my Schaublin 53 go straight in from the front so they clamp the tool into the shoe, Photo 5. I had to come away from the cutting position a couple of times to get the swarf out with a magnet but other than that went like dream. The keyway cut & the extension on the shaft, Photos 6 &7.
I could have done one of many bodge-ups with grub screws, etc, but my reputation is on the line here.

Ray

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,007
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 671
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 611
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 693
Back on the tools

Nice one Ray .. you back on the tools?

Limy,
Only for pleasure really, I am in Portugal at present, do a few repair jobs etc. here. This job is for a chicken plucker!

Any news on Normans engine? I'll be back in UK in about ten days time, long Christmas visit.
Ray

As long as it's not a pheasent plucker ;)

Last I heard from Norm he wasn't a well man,......... kettle will be on when you're back in blighty.

Back