Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Thread is about Vernier, not digital vs analogue.

We've already had that discussion....lets see 1, 2, 3, 100,000 times.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rob you lost me there with your reply.

Go grab a .1004 and .1006 gage block. Mix them up then measure with dial calipers. It’s very easy to know which one is thicker.

I use the mic for the first part then remeasure using dial calipers. Sometimes I’ll turn the face to zero then measure the rest. If I notice the parts are drifting off zero I’ll pull out the mic again. For me it’s a faster process. Just my opinion.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Turnworks you are going to find that you are the minority in that belief. There is NO way, not ever, not even if calipers were the only tool available to inspect with, would I trust you on that--never.

R

4. Likes Matt_Maguire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have some magic calipers if you can reliably spot the difference between .1004" and .1006" gage blocks with calipers. Between .104" and .106" sure. Not so much on the tenths. Not to mention dimensional drift of the caliper due to thermal expansion. Are you wearing gloves in a temperature controlled room when you do this magic?

6. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is he using the tips? Are they qualified to 10x that accuracy? Is the spur and rack machined to that accuracy? Is he squeezing 6n pressure (or whatever Gordon says..)? Is the block qualified to ZZ accuracy? By who? There is sooo much wrong with that.

R

8. Likes eKretz, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think he's claiming accuracy, only precision. Still, precision of .0002" easily with a caliper is a far-fetched claim if you ask me. And probably most everyone else.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    I don't think he's claiming accuracy, only precision. Still, precision of .0002" easily with a caliper is a far-fetched claim if you ask me. And probably most everyone else.
    My digital Shenchen(sp?) Pride calipers with 0.0002" (0.005mm) resolution repeat remarkably well. Zeroing and testing blindly on a 8mm carbide shank I get maybe 1 result out of 100 that is off by 0.0002". (without zeroing 50% of the results could be 8.000mm and 50% 8.005mm)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sure but would you trust those to hold a .0002" tolerance? I wouldn't. 50% isn't great either.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    My digital Shenchen(sp?) Pride calipers with 0.0002" (0.005mm) resolution repeat remarkably well. Zeroing and testing blindly on a 8mm carbide shank I get maybe 1 result out of 100 that is off by 0.0002". (without zeroing 50% of the results could be 8.000mm and 50% 8.005mm)
    Gordo's brand right? Norse pride or something.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    Sure but would you trust those to hold a .0002" tolerance? I wouldn't. 50% isn't great either.
    For sure not. Might trust them to 0.03mm if measuring easy handheld workpiece like hardened and polished round pin in 2 to 40mm size.

50% one way or another is expected quantization noise when the actual value is half-way between so its just the nature of the beast.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Starrett 120s and etalon calipers.

Yes I am a minority no question there.

You guys are cracking me up. Reminds me of ancient aliens. If one human can do something but another can’t the one that can’t thinks it must be aliens, technology or magic.

Also I can put .1003 and .1005 gage block on a surface plate and with my finger tell you which is thicker. Truth be told though I have heard I have magic fingers.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    Gordo's brand right? Norse pride or something.
    Yeah, I bought these out of curiosity after Gordons positive remarks.
    Definitely better than bin bottom chinese calipers but still not Mitutoyo or Tesa in fit&finish.
    (like jaws are not perpendicular to slide body and jaws are deburred by drunken beaver..)

16. Likes litlerob1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’m not going to put my name on the inspection report but I just tried that with my starrett 120A 9” caliper & could tell a difference (hard to resolve it correctly though). I had a lot of trouble trying to resolve the difference between the minor marks .1-.1004” & .1006-.101”... Wish I had my “mit” 0-100-0 (.200” per rev dial) here to see if I could tell anything at all with them (smaller dial, so I doubt it).

A little ciphering, with the 1 3/8” dial face gives me about 7/16” between the major grads (.010”) then subtracting line widths (approx .005” between minor grads of .001”) leave’s approx .004” indicated per tenth. So my eye can resolve there is a pointer difference of .008”.

It’d make a hell of a betting game though, early on “when we could”, lathe hands would do the facing to length with hook scales when parts allowed. Then later checked things on the rock in a pecker swinging contest. A little time looking at the edge of the line on top of the tool you get to working inside of .003-4”, that feels good.

Good luck,
    Matt

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To each his own so I'll avoid discussion

What does surprise me is that some believe vernier calipers are more accurate than dial and digital. As good as all caliper manufacturers manufacture "standard" calipers to ISO 2012/ DIN 862.

http://www.f-m-s.dk/DIN862.pdf

It's in metric but even in inches a tolerance is a tolerance.

Genauigkeit in German means Accuracy and I doubt if any caliper manufacturer makes their calipers to different tolerances depending on the country destination.

mit.jpg

BTW digital calipers with a display of 0.005mm/0.0002" are becoming more common and my experience with them is that they tend to be just a wee bit more accurate than the 0.01mm. The "new generation" as yet doesn't seem to be covered by any manufacturing standard.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    Gordon's brand right? Norse (?) pride or something.
    I don't have a brand. I do though get to try many different makes and almost always new. Some are better than others but, except for the very cheap. not really much difference in accuracy.

YouTube