What's new
What's new

Another form of over-head milling machine. Notice the bowl raise lever. Buy?

rons

Diamond
I know this might be called kitchen talk, but those websites don't talk about mechanical design, etc. Looking for design pro/con of machines, rather than a cookie recipe.
Discussions are mostly I made this or that, or something broke - now what do I do.

I indirectly got a piece of information on changes in peoples stay at home habits.
More people are getting into making their own goods. I looked into it and found that mixers are popular.
I went to the KitchenAid website. Most models are sold out. Does that jive with increase in demand, I don't know.

The one below is the one I would choose because the head is fixed. Another model design has a tilt-head. The boxes say:
AMERICA
DESIGNED AND ASSEMBLED IN THE U.S.A.

They can squeeze in foreign parts I guess, but that is about as good that it gets these days.

Aqua Sky Professional 5™ Plus Series 5 Quart Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer KV25G0XAQ | KitchenAid

Both the fixed-head with bowl raise and the tilt-head have bowls that are fixed. Wouldn't a base that spins make the mixing operation finish
faster? I once had a summer job with a instrument repair company and got to go inside some big food processing companies. I just don't remember that
much about it. Especially how they make Mayo at Best Foods. :ack2: That place had some serious size bowls.

I would get a fixed head with bowl raise for engineering design.
But the tilt-head design has a base that can be modified with a roller-bearing spinning base.

Any engineering comments appreciated.

Looks like a straight forward rip off of the old Hobarts to me.

As for your Q's ;- IMO&E - from years of repairing smaller scale commercial food prep and cooking machinery, simple is best, .and while I've not come across a Hobart with a spinning base, I can only imagine it being a nightmare to keep clean and working freely.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV

Not sure what your asking, you want to bake? And are asking opinions on the mechanics of the mixer?

My wife has 2 of the older models with the tilting heads. One started thumping really loud under load.

I took it apart and I was SERIOUSLY impressed with the build quality.
White (silicone maybe?) Grease packed everywhere, brass gears, was impressive.

Couldn’t figure out why it thumped under load so I put it back together. Few days later we figured out one wisk was slightly bent and making the noise.

They both still work fine. Ones a artisan and the other a classic. Hell of a mixer really

Wouldn't a base that spins make the mixing operation finish faster?

As a kitchen mixer collector perhaps I can shed some light. First of all, the KitchenAid is a Hobart. It's the same company.

Sunbeam introduced the spinning bowl on the Mixmaster so the beaters would sweep the entire bowl. The KitchenAid uses an orbital beater that accomplishes the same thing. The beater rotates and orbits the bowl.

As a kitchen mixer collector perhaps I can shed some light. First of all, the KitchenAid is a Hobart. It's the same company.

Sunbeam introduced the spinning bowl on the Mixmaster so the beaters would sweep the entire bowl. The KitchenAid uses an orbital beater that accomplishes the same thing. The beater rotates and orbits the bowl.

Ta muchly - I didn't know that :)

Oh thanks for that. That sets everything straight.

I have one that came from the town dump - works perfectly. A friend asked me to fix hers once so I took it apart and determined the problem. Unfortunately no buying parts for them - return to service center only.

I have one that came from the town dump - works perfectly. A friend asked me to fix hers once so I took it apart and determined the problem. Unfortunately no buying parts for them - return to service center only.

There is folks out there that part them out.

After reading about the interest in home brewing products because people stay at home more now:

I thought about doing this for myself, making pizza dough, or cookies, etc. without butter and using organic ingredients.
The reason for doing this is to stay away GMO's and preservatives, artificial flavors, etc. This stuff is not that hard.
Just get a French rolling pin and a clean surface. Maybe this idea can help save lives. Don't go for that store shelf easy gobble stuff.

And some interest in VFD technology led me to think about making something from scratch. I decided that with that idea: dreaming is better than building.
Building a oscillating head would be too much work, if I could even do it. So buying a quality American made mixer is the next choice. Otherwise, it's extremely
tiring to stir a spoon at a fast enough rate to wipe something up, along with side force against the boil to pulverize ingredients.

Shameless plug...:D If any of you are interested.... I have a Hobart FP100 continous feed food processor for sale :popcorn:

Made in Sweden. Diced up some apples for the wild squirrels. Squirrel prefers mom's yellow cake more.

Been looking at bench-top Hobart mixers for awhile, cause mom and sis love making cake. Seems everyone else also wants them, as they usually for decent money, not including buyer's premium and sales tax.

c'mon people!!! all we need is an R8 to Hobart arbor adapter.. :D

IMG_1129.jpg

Attachments

• Hobart_BP.rtfd.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 24
  • D55A6205-E497-4D78-B9F0-76841DFE721E.jpg
    D55A6205-E497-4D78-B9F0-76841DFE721E.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 148
Get the bowl lift.

My wife says, that everyone she knows that owns a tilt unit hates it...

Full disclosure there's a bowl lift mixer in her kitchen....

To be my pedantic-old-goat self, I'll note that Whirlpool bought the KitchenAid name and product line from ITW's Hobart subsidiary a couple of decades ago. The mixer designs have undergone tweaks over the years since, but their scaled-down-Hobart heritage is still clear. Can't say the same for the dishwashers, although the dishwashers retain their high-end position in the marketplace.

Whirlpool did extend the breadth of the KitchenAid major appliance line to include stoves, refrigerators, washing machines, and clothes dryers, but backed the KitchenAid brand out of the laundry business shortly afterward. Whirlpool also expanded the KA line of countertop appliances into food processors and blenders.

Last edited:
The bowl lift probably is better but the tilt ones aren't terrible. I have one in an ersatz-cast iron matte grey paint color that lives on the counter and I use it all the time, eg several mornings a week for beating egg whites for better pancakes. The KitchenAid mixer is the Bridgeport of baking tools. In other words, while there are bigger and stronger mixers for the modern professional, KitchenAids are really well made but affordable for the serious home user to do serious baking.

Here are nuts for the rudders on an A-class catamaran I machined from 304 stainless, and banana bread that I baked the same evening. I recall I took this photo as I was making some point on Facebook about specialization being for insects.
Banana Bread and Parts.jpg

Do you really think a BP can handle it? :D

lol!, that's the first thing I thought holding that blade up to the BP! ( that's a pretty decent size one)

it depends on what you are mixing and how ya do it, :D

no way with that on it, full bowl of cold dough, cold butter, and frozen fruit, that'd burn it right up! so much for the blueberry scones...haha

I know this might be called kitchen talk, but those websites don't talk about mechanical design, etc. Looking for design pro/con of machines, rather than a cookie recipe.
Discussions are mostly I made this or that, or something broke - now what do I do.

I indirectly got a piece of information on changes in peoples stay at home habits.
More people are getting into making their own goods. I looked into it and found that mixers are popular.
I went to the KitchenAid website. Most models are sold out. Does that jive with increase in demand, I don't know.

The one below is the one I would choose because the head is fixed. Another model design has a tilt-head. The boxes say:
AMERICA
DESIGNED AND ASSEMBLED IN THE U.S.A.

They can squeeze in foreign parts I guess, but that is about as good that it gets these days.

Aqua Sky Professional 5™ Plus Series 5 Quart Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer KV25G0XAQ | KitchenAid

Both the fixed-head with bowl raise and the tilt-head have bowls that are fixed. Wouldn't a base that spins make the mixing operation finish
faster? I once had a summer job with a instrument repair company and got to go inside some big food processing companies. I just don't remember that
much about it. Especially how they make Mayo at Best Foods. :ack2: That place had some serious size bowls.

I would get a fixed head with bowl raise for engineering design.
But the tilt-head design has a base that can be modified with a roller-bearing spinning base.

Any engineering comments appreciated.

Had BOTH of the Kitchenaids from 1974 until about .. 1989, was it?

Hobart still owned Kitchenaid. Cast-Iron, American made, same grade of goods as went into GI mess halls, just smaller than ones that resembled a fair sized drillpress!

Fort Gordon, Georgia, the combined mess as fed our unit served 6,000 meals every 24 hours @ five a day, including a massive guard force, MP's etc, out of an area the size of a two-car garage.

Big steam kettle of potatoes needed mashed, more coming right behind it? You didn't go at that kind of war-chore by hand with no dam' bent table fork!

:)

Ex had the habit of baking fresh bread near daily, and the planetary motion big boy with "bread hooks" was best for that.

She liked the tilt head for eveything else, but I'd bet MONEY she didn't keep it!

She forgot I had gotten it at then Day Job as a brand-new but marked-down unit off the cancellation of a special-order 240 Volt export model headed for Israel! And .. that I had installed a specific outlet for it .. in the house she no longer owned!

:)

I still have the big lever raise. Can't beat it with a stick!

What? 47 years now?

It is nicer for powering with the accessories, and we have them ALL. Cantonese Wife of now 30 years and counting makes "fish maw" and such in big batches.

You could do worse that buying one of the OLD ones, used, actually?

The speed control was stone-age - same deal as an Electro-Mecano micro drillpress writ large- which I also have.

Both still work fine. No SCR's or other fragile stuff.

"2 mixers worth"

And a hand-held.. "etc"

:D

Back