What's new
What's new

what lathe uses 2 1/4" x 6 tpi spindle?

metallic

Plastic
hi i just wanna know what lathe uses 2 1/4" x 6 tpi spindle? i have a 12" face plate that iam not sure what it fits.

thanks

American Tool Works High Duty lathes, 12" and 14" use something close thread-wise, but with a long register;

atw14-spindle.jpg

Regards,

Greg

The Putnam which is my avatar and which I also own an example of uses that spindle size and thread. If you are in Mass.and the face-plate is remotely very old, I would suspect that it was it came from.

Jim

not such if the face plate is 2 1/4". the back register measure 2.275. The ID of thread is 2.050". where can i the info to setermine what i have?

Backplate thread.

2.375 X 6TPI spindle noses were common on the larger South Bends. If the hub of the faceplate is large enough to rework to South Bend specs cut the new threads and put the backplate on ebay. You can also bore out the old threads install a bushing and cut whatever new threads suit you. I used epoxy on a couple of adapters for an eleven inch South Bend equipped with 1.625 X 8TPI. I think I left about six thousandths clearance for the epoxy. The permanent type Locktite may be more appropriate but I used what was at hand.

2-1/4"-6tpi thread fits my 13-1/2" South Bend lathe, built in the early 1940's. As a matter of fact, I am looking for a 8" back plate with that thread to mount my 4-jaw chuck to but I am having a hard time finding one. Does anyone have one for sale or know where I can get one? I'll pay shipping. Thanks for your help?
Chuck C

Back