Another form of over-head milling machine. Notice the bowl raise lever. Buy? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewblob View Post
    Not sure what your asking, you want to bake? And are asking opinions on the mechanics of the mixer?

They both still work fine. Ones a artisan and the other a classic. Hell of a mixer really
    Yes, I am going to make things for myself. In the past I made chocolate chip cookies and warmed a pizza. All this started when I
    could not locate a store that had a Boboli pizza dough round in a plastic package. Even the ones at Target are thinner than cardboard.
    So that was the turning point. I know that a frozen pizza exists but I have turned away from packaged frozen stuff. Probably because I resent
    the fact that executives and investors in a food packaging company are putting me at risk when I buy their products.

I bought the bowl lift Aqua Blue model. Not opened it yet. I'm trying to get used to the color which I thought was ugly at first. I once said
    on this forum that some ugly girls start to look better once you get to know them. And that some pretty girls start to look ugly when you get to know them.

Is Aqua Blue ugly? Or just a modern type color that I know nothing about?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    without butter
    F**ks sake! You are a MAMMAL! Butter is good for you. Helps you regulate fats and oils metabolic rate and stay fit, slender, and healthier! Your immune system appreciates it.

Guess which Provost-Marshall's MP's whack a cancerous cell?
    Got it in one. A healty immune system has that job.

So long as you see to it the raw materials to make its ammunition with are available. And not synthetic sweeteners and foods we weren't MEANT to have in huge surplus. As folk lived and ate in leaner times.. before cancer became such a self-imposed scourge, anyway.

2 lb box of demerara sugar is down to about 20 percent. It was opened April of 2020. Salt is for cleaning fresh veg. I don't EAT of it!

Start avoiding butter and milk with "margerine", "skim milk" "2% low", soya, almond, oat milk?

WTF do you think happens?

A signal is missing.

Your body goes "Oh SHIT! Tough TIMES are here!" Goes into overdrive MAKING fats and oils, storing them up for an emergency that is not THERE?

And then you become a jelly-belly lard-ass off your own chemical factory producing what it has no customer for!

Part of how I lost those 60 M-F lbs from 245 or so down to 180-185?

Whole milk or even "half and half", all the butter I FEEL like, cooking especially.. because you won't actually over-do it .. unless deprived OF it.

I did say "mammal" ?

Weird thing is if you don't get yer butter? MEN grow big floppy tits!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    c'mon people!!! all we need is an R8 to Hobart arbor adapter..

Attachment 315244
    Playin' wit' yerself!

Hang a face mill on the GI-sized Hobart?

Reduce an entire BirdPort to Iron dietary supplement before lunchtime.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many are in lab's and industrial settings ?
    I know of one shop mixing up small batches of silicone, they use it just about every day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started making smoked kilbasa a while back as I couldn’t find any good sausage the wasn’t loaded with salt. To get started I bought a cheap electric grinder off eBay for $30 and made a hydro-stuffer. Ended up giving the equipment to my nephew as he would probably use it more. I subsequently bought another grinder of the same make as it held up quite well. Unfortunately I didn’t check it out when it arrived and six months later discovered it was damaged. Fixed it and it died after 20lbs of sausage. The grinder part is actually rather well built and I looked at the KitchenAid attachments and wasn’t impressed. So I modified the hub attachment area and made a tapered adapter so it will fit the KitchenAid.
    ede76703-4d8f-4b4e-8185-3853673e41f9.jpg32296ccc-7303-46a5-8005-786f4a10c016.jpgd5ad01d4-2cd6-43ca-b555-a6eae9041a30.jpgca8196ff-c764-4b91-adf5-03efea6eed53.jpga44061d0-6b31-434b-b307-c39e0bf30662.jpg

6. Likes rons, Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plumberpieco View Post
    The grinder part is actually rather well built and I looked at the KitchenAid attachments and wasn’t impressed.
    That is a common complaint as I read reviews. I think your idea is worth duplicating by skilled individuals that will be nameless ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gave one to my girlfriend 40 years ago. She's now my wife and she still makes our own bread. Still running without any repairs needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a common complaint as I read reviews. I think your idea is worth duplicating by skilled individuals that will be nameless ...
    Of course since I made the modification you can buy aftermarket grinder attachments that will fit. They will come with all the goodies for around $40. The grinder I used uses the #5 plates which is larger than the KitchenAid brand. Don’t think I’d push it past the #5 size. Had those other attachments been available at the time I’m sure I still would have made my adapter.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    Get the bowl lift.

My wife says, that everyone she knows that owns a tilt unit hates it...

Full disclosure there's a bowl lift mixer in her kitchen....
    I have done some reading of the reviews on the tilt-heads. Lack of power when mixing something thick.
    I got a rigid head machine and its sitting in a box as I try to get accustomed to the blue-aqua color.

The tilt head's weight is what keeps it in position.
    Although it is heavy there may by vibrations at certain resonant frequencies that make the head vibrate.
    Possibly like a mix moving from a rough state to a smooth state. I don't know if this is actually true.
    But it gives me a reason to blow more money on a machine with a rigid head and higher HP motor.

I think a damping action like the weight of a hand would make that problem go away.
    On a BP operation sometimes a 2x4 piece of wood helps dampen out vibrations and noise when held on a work piece.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have done some reading of the reviews on the tilt-heads. Lack of power when mixing something thick.
    I got a rigid head machine and its sitting in a box as I try to get accustomed to the blue-aqua color.

The tilt head's weight is what keeps it in position.
    Although it is heavy there may by vibrations at certain resonant frequencies that make the head vibrate.
    Possibly like a mix moving from a rough state to a smooth state. I don't know if this is actually true.
    But it gives me a reason to blow more money on a machine with a rigid head and higher HP motor.

I think a damping action like the weight of a hand would make that problem go away.
    On a BP operation sometimes a 2x4 piece of wood helps dampen out vibrations and noise when held on a work piece.
    What’s the amps/hp of your motor?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewblob View Post
    What’s the amps/hp of your motor?
    Just a quick list of the range of models. Motor power is adjusted up as the bowl size increases from 4.5qt to 7qt.

Top of line 7qt 1.5Hp
    Pro 5qt 0.771 Hp (mine)
    Artisan 5qt 0.435Hp
    Classic 4.5qt 0.368Hp

The link in post 1 is the model with specs.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The reasons for posting this topic:

1. I like the machines and did not appreciate them until recently. Especially trying to whip something by hand.

2. I was aware of a behavior alteration program regarding the need to reach out for food. If an excess inventory is available the individual may feel a comfort
    zone and not stuff his/her pie hole.

3. The increase in popularity for making goods might fit in with the behavior alteration program. The excess inventory is now more base products like flour, sugar.
    So now the individual is one more step removed from a cookie or piece of cake. It has to be made first. Now more planning takes place.

4. Side benefits, less GMO's , more organics...

5. I recently bought excess supplies and the need for gratification has diminished. Works for me, maybe this idea can help somebody else.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
    As a kitchen mixer collector perhaps I can shed some light. First of all, the KitchenAid is a Hobart. It's the same company.

Sunbeam introduced the spinning bowl on the Mixmaster so the beaters would sweep the entire bowl. The KitchenAid uses an orbital beater that accomplishes the same thing. The beater rotates and orbits the bowl.
    There is a warning about getting broken bones. It's likely because the beater sweeps the bowl. Opportunity to stick a finger down the side and bang.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a warning about getting broken bones. It's likely because the beater sweeps the bowl. Opportunity to stick a finger down the side and bang.
    LOTO the unit before attempting to lick the beaters....

17. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL KitchenAid mixers have been around for MANY years. My aunt told me she'd worn out 3 of them. (She baked a lot!)

We own a bowl lift model. I got mine cheap because the vertical adjust range wasn't big enough and the tools didn't come close enough to the bowl. I solved that by putting a couple of stainless washers over the bowl retaining pins, essentially shimming up the bowl. I've been using it that way for at least 15 years now, works great.

KitchenAid mixers are like Norwegian sweaters. One per relationship.

metalmagpie

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cough up the $$$ for a Hobart N-50 (used for if you can find one) and never look back...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

mixer.jpg
    my kind if mixer makes a lot of cake !!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    LOL KitchenAid mixers have been around for MANY years. My aunt told me she'd worn out 3 of them. (She baked a lot!)

We own a bowl lift model. I got mine cheap because the vertical adjust range wasn't big enough and the tools didn't come close enough to the bowl. I solved that by putting a couple of stainless washers over the bowl retaining pins, essentially shimming up the bowl. I've been using it that way for at least 15 years now, works great.

KitchenAid mixers are like Norwegian sweaters. One per relationship.

metalmagpie
    I returned the aqua sky color unit. Couldn't live with it.

The bowl issue I see with these units: The bowl is placed on the two pins and pushed down in the back, the bowl rotates and locks into the retaining clip.
    Then they install the wire whisk. The problem is that shipping makes the whisk rotate off the spindle and the bowl unlocks from the clip. Then for how many
    shipping hours the stuff is banging around.

The warranty for 1 year is good. Any problem and just notify Kitchen Aid. They arrange and pay for shipping the bad unit to them, and a replacement to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My only experience with mixers was my Aunties old Kenwood Chef. Made a new internal gear ring,with nylon pinion for driving the whip. Once put back together,and switch it on-there was a big blue flash and a loud bang! What a reward,didn't know whether �� Or ��