What's new
What's new

Another gantry crane build post

joebass

Aluminum
I own a welding and fab shop. I have some left over steel, and thinking of a gantry to help in loading my shear and power rolls. Span needs to be 14 feet. I have 40 feet of s7x 15.3, also 4" schedule 40 for the uprights, and some 6x4x1/4 tube for the bases. Was thinking of 3" channel for the upright gussets. Mostly it'll be used for 72x144 sheets of 10 gage, but would like to know the realistic capacity. Anyone know? Also would like a recommendation on 6 or 8" casters.

Get the ANSI standards for gantry cranes. Do the calculations to prove your design meets the ANSI criteria.

Or, buying one gets the OSHA required marks on the label, and dodges the possible "you are shut down until that is out of here", and the potential fines.

Some things are just not worth the ultimate potential hassles.

There are plenty of companies that sell crane components and most will have span/load tables for you to work from. I just bought 2 sets of Harrington Hoist end trucks @ 1 ton per span. I just hung the last 20' bridge beam tonight. Not gantry but bridge cranes. Even though I have 1 ton end trucks the last 20'span has only a half ton beam and will be clearly marked as such, AND will have a half ton hoist max.

You are also going to need a vacuum lifting system setup. Magnetic lifting systems are really nice but you have little control on how many sheets it grabs at once. Bad enough that a vacuum lifting can pick up 2 sheets and maybe not let you know. I was transferring a 30 sheet pallet one by one to a A frame transport cart with my vacuum lifter. I picked up a sheet, rotated the sheet to near vertical, placed it on the A frame. But there were 2 sheets sucked together. I dwelled after the initial 2-3 inch lift for a stuck sheet to drop. I keep my feet away from the sheet slide shear zone and the sheet stayed until set on the A frame. It was then that I knew 2 sheets were lifted. From then on I always double checked.

DD is right ,if you use tables and calculations ,you end up with a bridge beam......when you want the lightest structure that will actually resist bending.......The other point is that you can see the hoist deflecting the beam if you overload it ,and back off...Even if it bends ,it can always be straightened and reinforced.

If you decide to build your own and have employees you will need a stamped set of plans.
We had engineers on the job but still had to have a P.E. sign off on the plans.

This one (back there on the left) is S7 X 15.3, but a much more reasonable 9 feet span. With the 4700 Lb shaper hanging on it mid way that I sold long ago you could see no deflection. This has never been a commercial shop, so suit yourself. You do realize home made will never cut it if you happen to acquire an employee

DCP_0497.JPG

There are no employees but me, and my retired father comes down a few hours a day to give me a hand and keep busy. We're also not talking loading 30 sheets a day, we're talking 10 a month. I'm doing it now, and for the last 5 years with a shop made boom on our fork lift and a bessey clamp. I'll really make you guys cringe when I tell you I've lifted 48x120 sheets of 12 ga with an 11r clamp.

Could always use qty (2) of your beams beside each other if needing more strength, put the trolley in the gap.

I have a wallace 15 ft span, 13ft tall, 3 ton crane that uses an s10x25.4. I have used it to load and unload lots of machines in the 3-6000lb range. I would imagine a s7x15.3 would be fine for loading sheets and other stuff as well, just do the calculation and don't push it too hard.

Look at some designs and over build.
I've never had anything fail because I made it too strong.
Right, I really only need the 14 feet span at the bottom, I had planned on gussets going from the uprights to the beam, so essentially I could even make it a 12 foot span.

Back