Another Kurt vise ressurection KURT II PT600 - Warning, photo heavy - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse View Post
    Yeah man!! That tool took a pretty stout bite!
    Yeah, and came to a very sudden stop, too. From contact to full stop was less than a third of a turn. If the
    spindle was crankin' over very fast that would have been very stressful...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a Kurt where the leadscrew is rusted into the cast iron carrier (not sure of nomenclature) Will this penetrate down into a rusted thread? I kind of dought it, but maybe worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That divot on the movable jaw isn't a big deal, only a minor scrape. I saw a big Cinncinatti vertical with a 2" EM break a counter balance chain and drop into the vise and part running top speed. Went all the way through the part and about 3/4" into the bed of the vise before it stopped, that was a divot!
    I found one of those vises at a live auction and bought it dirt cheap and love it, so much so that I went and bought a new 4" Kurt II for use on the smaller machines I had. That new vise came with a wound stainless spring cover over the screw that is nice but it may be a problem later if it gets messed up.
    Those Kurt II vises are a totally different design that their bench mark series. The thrust bearing is in the solid jaw and the screw pulls the moveable jaw instead of pushing it towards the solid jaw. Also ground for use on every surface except the end where the handle goes. Those vises are two tools I will only sell after everything else goes out the door and I have absolutely no need for them.
    Dan

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I'm trying to fab some parts for a half vise I have. Is there any other method that you can post these photos, when I open them through the links, for some reason they are all very blurry.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by timpet98 View Post
    Hi, I'm trying to fab some parts for a half vise I have. Is there any other method that you can post these photos, when I open them through the links, for some reason they are all very blurry.
    DM me your email and I'll send a google link for the pics. Not sure what is going on with photobucket, but I think it is on their end.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The guys at Photobucket decided that they weren't becoming billionaires so they changed their free image hosting to very expensive image hosting. There was no provision for all the images that were already on their site and being used on boards like this one where there is zero money being used for their usage. Somehow, they think that a public spirited person, who posts his or her work for free and for the benefit of all, should pay through the nose for the use of their formerly free image hosting service.

While some "for profit" sites are undoubtedly using Photobucket to host the images for their sales sites, I highly doubt that very many of them have the annual volume to merit paying Photobucket's very high fees for image hosting. I, for one, have a small sales presence on the internet. I have a few ads on E-Bay. They each have several photos and E-Bay provides the hosting for those photos at no additional charge. My sales are few with long delays between them. I pay E-Bay fees ONLY when a sale is made. There is no way that I could justify even 10% of Photobucket's fees for these ads.

And the sellers who have sufficient sales volume to justify such fees are usually smart enough to look for less expensive ways to host the images for their ads. I suspect that Photobucket is slowly going broke. Those blurry images are Photobucket's way to extort their high fees from their users. I suspect that they may soon disappear entirely when Photobucket goes belly up.

BTW, with the advent of less expensive storage devices (disk drives) the pressure to charge large amounts for data intensive storage, such as images, has greatly decreased. Ten years ago almost no discussion sites, like this one, would provide image hosting due to the expense which could have amounted to multiple thousands of dollars when both the number of fairly expensive disk drives and the need for back-ups (more disk drives) was taken into account. Today, multiple tera-bite drives are available at prices that both you and I can afford. So this site and most others like it can provide their own image hosting at little added cost. Our host can provide this image storage space for less than they probably paid for the hard drives to store only the text messages a decade ago. All the other BB hosts seem to have gone the same route.

I strongly recommend using this BB's own image hosting. Unlike on Photobucket, your images should be there as long as this BB exists. It is totally free and while it is not totally easy to use, it is not that hard either. And it will get better with the next upgrade as I have seen this on other BB sites. The original poster for this thread could upload those images to this BB's image hosting and replace the links in his posts with new ones to that location. I have done this with my old posts when they have come up.

Nuts to Photobucket!

Quote Originally Posted by timpet98 View Post