What's new
What's new

Another removing broken tap thread,

Bogart999 9

Plastic
Hello all, I know this has been asked before but I didn't find anything useful doing a search so I am asking for help.
I work mostly in 6061 aluminum and use STI taps for 95% of the threaded holes. Every now and then we break a tap in a very expensive part. In the past we used a product called Tap-Out, an acid solution to dissolve the tap which worked very well. The company that sells the Tap-out changed their mixture and the new stuff does not work worth a darn. The taps are 2-56 and 4-40 mostly with some 6-32's now and then. The acid worked great as it did not damage the parts at all beyond a little discoloration that could be scrubbed off. A lot of these holes are in awkward places that makes machining them out problematic, hence burning them out with the acidIMG_9707+300x2251255331395.jpg
Do any of you Know of a suitable product to accomplish this?

Thank you in advance

Nitric acid is what you need. I'm sure other acids would work also,
but Nitric is what I use for passivating, so its what I have on hand.

Won't hurt the aluminum, but like you said, maybe a little discoloration.

I've had limited luck w/ 4-40 and 6-32 by bonding together 3 common pins (cut off the heads first) either by laser welding, glue, dental acrylic or even with a plastic tie. Then find a suitable handle, like a large pin vice that can hold all three. Then add some Aero-Kroil to the broken tap. Then bend the the pin heads so they conform with the flutes on the tap. Then give a small tightening turn, followed by an effort to unscrew the tap. Probably works only 3 out of 5 times, but what the hey--broken taps ain't easy.

Better advice is "Don't tap aluminum."

Ron

Back