What's new
What's new

ANSI/ISO Tooling Standards

ZedSaidRed

Plastic
Hello,
I was hoping to see if anyone can help me locate tooling standards for Carbide tools. I have a copy of the Machinery's Handbook 22nd Edition and it has all of the information I need regarding the standard dimensions of HSS tooling.

However, it has no information regarding ANSI or ISO standards about carbide tooling. I know these standards exist and I can see them @ ANSI.org but I do not want to purchase these ridiculously priced documents from ANSI.org.

Does anyone know if the newest machinery's handbook has this information? Or does anyone know of a cheaper way to get my hands on these standards?

Specifically I am looking for standards of Carbide Endmills.

Are you talking about turning tools or milling cutters? EDIT: I see you want carbide end mills. Sorry, no real standards are adhered-to by makers.

In turning tools the major portion of the tools still adhere to ANSI & ISO standards. Grooving and parting tools would be the exception there. In milling tools, that number is dwindling fast into irrelevance. Milling technology has advanced and every major manufacturer has there own idea of the best design.

As far as turning tools go, one of the clearest, easiest-to-comprehend reference works I've seen is certain pages within the now-obsolete Valenite Turning catalog. If you go to Walter-Tools.com/us and click on the top menu bar for "Service & Downloads", then the left side menu for "Download Print Media", you can download the 57MB Valenite Turning catalog. On pages 13 to 16 of the file you see a great breakdown of turning inserts. On page 185 of the file is the explanation of the holders. On pages surrounding those is good complimentary information.

You can see a simple version of the same information on the "technical resources" section of website for CarbideDepot.com. I think the layout of the Valenite catalog is the best I've seen. Just be aware that while a lot of the products in that catalog are obsolete, the ANSI/ISO data is not.

If you download the milling catalog too, you find similar info on the little bit of ANSI/ISO milling that's left out there. It's on pages 9 and 10, and applies to only the inserts. The cutter information is all Valenite-specific, as is any other company's cutter nomenclature.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick response and the good info.

From all of my hunting it seems that what you say is true, different manufacturers have many different designs. LOC to DIA seem to differ from MFG to MFG.

I did see also that turning tools are well covered in the machinery's handbook but I will check the catelog you mentioned as all info is good info.

Thanks again.

Back