What's new
What's new

Anti-Rust additive for water based cleaning?

BobM3

Cast Iron
Is there something out there I can add to my aqueous cleaning spray tank to inhibit rust on steel parts? I used to use Armakleen from Safety-Kleen but I no longer use Safety-Kleen.

Washing soda that is found in a grocery store is a fair additive to most water based cleaners..
It dries with leaving a fine powder on the part and reduces the tendency to rust. Yes it leaves the part clean and dry so the part may tend to rust frim moisture in the air so an oil wipe might be added next. Using it as a coolant is ok but with the part getting hot it may leave a plastic like coating on the part.

Calgon pink soap hand wash is also good for parts cleaning as it also leaves much the same (fine powder likely washing soda)on the part so tends to reduce rusting

Try keeping the pH above 8.5 to start. Water based Solutions are attacked by bacteria that produces an acid by product, and once the pH goes below 8, the chances of rusting are significantly increased. To solve problem, use a biocide to keep bacteria at bay, rotate biocides periodically, they become immune to them and super bugs develop that are resistant. You can add caustic (pH<9) to the tank to keep pH up.

I hope this helps...

One question not answered....what process comes after ?
Do you want to paint these parts ?

Back