What's new
What's new

where to get oversized SHCS screw blanks?

ballen

Diamond
Where can I buy a handful of oversized SHCS screw blanks? By this I mean a steel cylinder at least 7/16" diameter x 2" length where one end has been broached or stamped with a 3/16" hex opening. If the steel can be hardened that would be nice but is not essential.

(If there is no alternative I will hard solder the body of a 1/4-20 SHCS into a cylinder.)

Where can I buy a handful of oversized SHCS screw blanks? By this I mean a steel cylinder at least 7/16" diameter x 2" length where one end has been broached or stamped with a 3/16" hex opening. If the steel can be hardened that would be nice but is not essential.

(If there is no alternative I will hard solder the body of a 1/4-20 SHCS into a cylinder.)

If you design allows, simply loctiteing a sutable grub screw in has worked really well for me in the past, its crude, its dirt simple, but it works really well and most grub screws can be had as short as there od yet still have a full hex in them.

If you design allows, simply loctiteing a sutable grub screw in has worked really well for me in the past, its crude, its dirt simple, but it works really well and most grub screws can be had as short as there od yet still have a full hex in them.
I like that idea a lot, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Several years ago our shop had to make a lot of large SHCS. We machined it from 4140 and formed the hex with a punch, then had them heat treated.

Red, I've ordered a compact rotary broach from Hemingway Kits.

David, I am making a replacement tapered adjuster for a Burnerd-Pratt Grip-Tru chuck. Should be OK that it's not as strong as a structural bolt.

Adama, I think I will try that. I have some Loctite 270, is that what you use? Does the Loctite hold it tightly enough that you can strip the hex socket before the Loctite lets go?

Cole, I agree.

Illinoyance, I was hoping that there was someone out there providing these blanks as standard parts and I just needed the right name to google for them. But looks as if that is not the case. 4140 prehard/QT would be my first choice for material.

Adama, I think I will try that. I have some Loctite 270, is that what you use? Does the Loctite hold it tightly enough that you can strip the hex socket before the Loctite lets go?

Blue loctite is made to be removeable , no matter what loctite or epoxy you use the more threads the better, I would not expect a short grub screw to stay in no matter what it was glued in with.

I can attest to the success of rotary broaching for hexes and square drives. We've done them successfully for surgical implant prototypes. If you have a CNC mill the fun thing is to make lobular (torx) style drives as you can cut them with a little end mill.

If you could live with a 1/4" hex socket, you could just whittle them out of
a 1/2" stripper bolt (shoulder screw).

Or a 12mm shoulder screw if you prefer a 6mm hex.

Back