What's new
What's new

Any experience with AWC for "import" exp. aircraft?

I've already posted versions of this Q on a couple marque-specific and homebuilt sites.
Surprisingly no one has stepped up to report actual experience or insightful comments.
Will try the Van's forum, and also check with EAA & perhaps AOPA.

Nonehtelss, PM has such depth of experience and range of interests including other homebuilders, FAA guys and A & P's, so here goes:

A couple years ago i bought an amateur built Sonerai 2L in Canada.
Hence, the airworthiness certificate is surrendered before in crosses the border.

Typically, in the USA, an Experimental-amateur built ("E-AB") airworthiness certificate ("AWC"), once gained, will transfer with the airplane. No new AWC required, no new flight tests except as required by the maintenance or mechanical changes if any, etc. However, an import that changes ownership loses the foreign AWC and must gain one in the US after it crosses the border, including the 40 hrs fly-off in designated local area.

All fine and good.

However, as a pre-built airplane, there seems to be a tendency for the FAA to want to position it in the Experimental - Exhibition category, not Amateur Built as would be correct if US original build. I am well aware that there has been significant erosion in the E-Ex category over the years and it is nowhere near as restrictive as it was some years ago. Nonetheless, I'd certainly prefer E-AB.

Anyone done it?

How best to prep my case before meeting FSDO rep in the next month or so?
I'm doing some work on the airplane to make the lid fit me :), already reserved N# a couple yrs ago. Fine with DAR inspection, flying off the hours, etc.

The question here is "How best to direct entire process to E-AB AWC" result?

Thanks for any insights.
smt

By all means, check with EAA. AOPA might help, but I don't think they are that knowledgeable about experimentals.

Do you know the FSDO rep? When I used to fly charters I had to take a checkride every 6 months. When I instructed, I made it a point to attend all the Wings meetings, etc. that I could and take a student or two. I also worked in our repair station and knew the maintenance inspectors that would come to visit. Things didn't always go my way with the FSDO, but I think it sure helped that I knew most of the people there and, believe it or not, they all had a sense of humor. When you walk in the door and they know you, and know that operating safely is your #1 priority, they are much more helpful.

One of the maintenance inspectors asked me when I was going to come and take my A&P test. I told him that I only worked in the shop part time and didn't have the requisite number of hours. He responded, "Come on, Steve, I know you've been working on your own planes for years. Just schedule an appointment with me and I'll sign you off." Unfortunately, I didn't...

I have Experimental Exhibition warbird, don't let them put you in this category at all costs. Join EAA and use their expertise to guide you to correct category.

Do you know the FSDO rep?

Yes. We had informal discussion 2 yrs ago at Wings meeting our EAA hangar. He indicated Exhibition was the easy route.

Sept 1 this month (First wings for us since Covid) was supposed to be about AWC & my airplane is now in the group hangar. Another member is restoring a B25, & there are some other projects.
Unfortunately FAA scheduling exigencies resulted in a different team coming to talk about airport ops and traffic control.
Great guys, good program but "my" guy and i are supposed to talk soon. I just want to marshal as much info as possible and other known examples to plead my case as part of a team approach. IOW, I want to present a case, not be argumentive. Then let the chips fall. So preparation is everything.

I made it a point to attend all the Wings meetings, etc. that I could and take a student or two.

We have a very good working relationship with the FSDO. I think they like to come to our hangar for programs.

One of the maintenance inspectors asked me when I was going to come and take my A&P test. ...snip.....He responded, "Come on.... I know you've been working on your own planes for years. Just schedule an appointment with me and I'll sign you off....

2 of our guys are progressing this route at the instigation of FSDO rep. You do have to show (log) the accummulated 2500 hrs before standing the tests. No doubt the shop records were ideal for your situation.

smt

I have Experimental Exhibition warbird, don't let them put you in this category at all costs. Join EAA and use their expertise to guide you to correct category.

Your first sentence is the one that worries me.
The weird thing is that as many aviation connections as i have, it appears i don't know anyone who has heard other than scuttlebutt about question posed above (OP).

Member local since 1974, National since '76.
2 chapters in sequence, multiple officer terms including 2 as pres, almost constant board member.

Eventually I'll call EAA. Maybe post on the Van's forum - so many RV's built, one of those guys has to have experienced something similar. :)

Thanks!
smt

This might seem cut and dried to some; however there are several ways to approach it from my perspective.
Sort of a developing spread sheet.

"Best"/easiest would be: do necessary repairs, updates, condition inspection, Schedule the DAR, then apply for and receive E-AB AWC based on showing that other imported examples of amateur built airplanes were accpted as such.

If that is not an option without more extensive amateur building participation on my part, there are an array of upgrades up to and including new wings, fuselage and empennage improvements, etc.

The airplane was flyable and in Canadian Annual when purchased though it had not actually been flown for several years. A Canadian PM'r /Air Canada Transport Inspector inspected it for me. (Thanks, Pete!)
Only needs modded enough to fix a cracked canopy and raise same to fit me with headset on.
But if it made the difference to an E-AB, i'd do (preferably a specified limited amount) of more or less extensive work to make the case.

And again, if this was bought in USA, the question would not arise. The E-AB AWC would automatically transfer with the airplane if it was not previously turned in. The new owner would not be qualified to do the annual condition inspections as the original builder could be; but other restrictions are minimal to non-existant.

smt

Last edited:
Also look for a DAR in your area he might be able to help. I used a DAR and he was invaluable in certification.

Just in case anyone ever searches or finds this post, who also needs the info:

I dug around on EAA members' forums and found a link to the controlling FAA document (AC 20-27G) for certifying Experimental aircraft. It is a long slog through 60 pages, and explicates the process for almost any situation. It includes examples and sample documents.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_20-27G.pdf

Pages 29 & 30 lay out the relevent information regarding imported Experimental airplanes, and what might or might not qualify for E-AB.

16. Certifying an Amateur-Built Aircraft Built Outside the United States and
Purchased By a U.S. Citizen.

Figure 5. Procedures the FAA Uses to Complete the Inspection
Review your documentation.

Determine whether the aircraft meets the major portion and
education/recreation requirements of § 21.191(g).

Advise you that the condition inspection on your aircraft can be
performed only by the original builder who holds the repairman’s
certificate for that aircraft or an FAA-certificated mechanic as
authorized by § 43.3, Persons authorized to perform maintenance,
preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alterations, per the
operating limitations.

Inspect the aircraft the same as any other amateur-built aircraft.

Determine whether the aircraft is eligible and the
inspection is satisfactory.
 Yes  No
Issue you FAA Form 8130-7
with appropriate operating
limitations.
Possibly require flight testing.

Hence many other sections of the document are relelvent to the paper chase, but 16. esseentially endorses the notion of E-AB if the other documentation (& airplane condition) comply.

This will take a while. :)

smt

Back