Any good YouTube vids/series/channels for a kid starting out in machining? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    I will also recommend Keith Rucker and Robin Renzetti
    Robin Renzetti is anything BUT beginner.

As much as I hate to admit it, Titan's stuff is probably the best option from a purely educational standpoint as far as CNC goes.
    The manual guys don't really teach. They more or less share. How much you teach yourself watching them is all up to your learning aptitude.
    I have learned tons about manual machining watching Tom, Kieth, and Adam. Esp. Tom. He probably leans more towards teaching than most.
    This Old Tony "teaches" in his own special way. But, he is so thorough, it is very time consuming.
    And, he not necessarily machining. I would say he is more aligned towards engineering, and dabbles in machining. (I really like watching his channel)
    Peter Stanton (Edge Precision) is hands down the best machining channel on Youtube!

Best of luck to your guy Dave! I hope he sticks with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dupa3872 View Post
    If you want to spark an interest Titans of CNC is a good start. Tons of content and a path to learning.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron
    But you have to listen to Titan speak..................

3. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    but you have to listen to titan speak..................
    Boom! Boom!

Last edited by Fancuku; 04-23-2019 at 04:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

NYC CNC has some pretty good videos for beginners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would think 5 minutes of 1 on 1 training from you would be worth more than the entirety of YouTube.

You might be better served to hook the lad with some type of project that incidentally requires using machine tools. Building go karts or those stupid spinner things or whatever kids are into these days

7. Likes wheelieking71, SIP6A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    I would think 5 minutes of 1 on 1 training from you would be worth more than the entirety of YouTube.

You might be better served to hook the lad with some type of project that incidentally requires using machine tools. Building go karts or those stupid spinner things or whatever kids are into these days
    DO NOT MAKE SPINNERS! Stupidest thing I have ever seen in my life! Fidget toys?! WTF?! Get up off your ass and do something constructive!
    Sorry for the tirade. But, those damn things make me sick!

18486123_810569615782522_2611612248113849413_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    DO NOT MAKE SPINNERS! Stupidest thing I have ever seen in my life! Fidget toys?! WTF?! Get up off your ass and do something constructive!

I agree they're dumb but I caved and made this with my daughter when the craze hit here. Her design, she wanted the heaviest possible Any good YouTube vids/series/channels for a kid starting out in machining?. She's doing dioramas now- the pencil is about 1/2" long.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post

Just think about how you would feel about them if you were a social worker at a school during that brief span when they were everywhere, like my wife. Claims that they "boost focus" are wildly exaggerated, to say the least. in 99% of cases it's just another source of distraction...

That being said, I agree that what's probably better than any video is a simple hands-on project. When I was just a little guy (like maybe 6 or so) I saw my old man pouring concrete in the back yard for something or other. Inspired by the way that he was able to make stuff take a shape that he wanted, I immediately went to work designing canoes, airplanes, etc. made with concrete. If seeing and doing a project that takes a lump of metal and transforms it into something useful doesn't catch "the spark" then maybe it's not meant to be after all.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

NY CNC, Keith Fenner, MAR TOOL, Titans of CNC, Keith Rucker, Kennametal, Sandvik, Haas, Okuma, CNC PROGRAMMER all are good.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snapatap View Post
    NYC CNC has some pretty good videos for beginners.
    The only good videos he has are his crash compilations...otherwise he's just a hack

13. Likes SIP6A liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think you will enjoy all the mentioned you tube fellows they are all great. Tubal Caine is probably the best for someone starting out because I believe his background is that he did teach young people in school back in the day. He is down to earth and very sharp. He is down to earth and has a friendly non egotistical nature.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    I'm an old fart, so my take is that reading is better than videos to start. For me, vids become "entertainment" too quickly, while sometimes delivering content too slowly.

With a book, you can immeditely re-read a sentence or passage that wasn't clear at the first review. Skipping ahead, then back a few pages is easy, it's more of a pain with vids.

Then we get to recommendations for reading. Not much help there, what I had is long gone. But there are threads here on "new machinist reading materials", in fact there's one active at the moment: Beginner looking to start metal turning
    it's best to find an old fart who will take you under his wing..........