I made this 6" bull nose center.

A mini fly cutter.

some nice smoking pipes for tobacco .

I have more but not on this computer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Not machinist tools

These are not a machinist tools but they are tools. Non brass parts of the body are 410 stainless steel and the irons are 0-1.

And I will have to qualify these as shop made tools, not home made, as they are made as a product to sell.

Ron

www.breseplane.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _dsc3871.jpg   _dsc3961.jpg   _dsc4015.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Breze View Post
    These are not a machinist tools but they are tools. Non brass parts of the body are 410 stainless steel and the irons are 0-1.

And I will have to qualify these as shop made tools, not home made, as they are made as a product to sell.

Ron

Brese Plane, Hand Planes for Woodworking
    this thread is about tools not art
    amazing work man!
    there is a thread around were about the definition of craftsmanship, I think your planes qualify

Post Thanks / Like

4 pages here of the last time we did this thread.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/shop-made-tool-pics-201261/

Phil.

Post Thanks / Like

7. Likes jackal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Some chasing hammers I made

Some of these are old,and the "graceful"ones more recently made.

Most of these were made from 1" dia. drill rod. The larger headed hammer with the shorter handle is for driving engraving chisels. It is mild steel thoroughly case hardened/

The handles of the chasing hammers are ash. I made them too. The "graceful" hammers have hickory handles I bought years ago,Tatum brand. For very small ball pein hammers. I wish I had more.

These are all for silver work. I drew the graceful ones to a spring blue temper,about 52 R.C..

Obviously,1 is a blank ready to mill the faces flat,and mill the eye out. First,I'd smooth out the surface nicely,then mill the flats,and smooth them so as not to leave sluffed over edges,and leave everything nice and crisp.

The handles are stained with potassium permanganate. It leaves a nice brown color. Finished over with Tru Oil gunstock finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails graceful-hammers-close.jpg   chasing-hammers.jpg   graceful-hammers.jpg   blank-hammer.jpg   img_0679.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Some planes I made

I have made quite a few infill planes,but didn't take pictures of them except for these.

The 2 steel planes are dovetailed together by hand. The small one is like a 1/2 size salesman's sample I saw in a collection. Very rare,and you never see them,so I made one for myself. The brass shoulder plane is stuffed with rosewood, Has adjustable mouth,and is 1 3/8" wide.

The 1/2 size one is also stuffed with rosewood,and is the only plane I have seen with the "sacrificial" screw on the front. You tap on it to advance the blade. usually on the rear to retract the blade,and you tap on the top of the blade to advance it.

I may have posted these before,but can't recall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _dsc0773.jpg   _dsc0779.jpg   _dsc0769.jpg   _dsc0777.jpg   _dsc0776.jpg  

downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These have been seen here before, but since you are new & asked ...

smt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default An Ellipsograph(oval drawing tool)

This is an 18th.C. style ellipsograph I made with my new journeyman about a year before I retired. It was seen on The Woodwright's Shop being used by Marcus Hansen,my old journeyman from the Musical Instrument Maker's Shop.

It is mahogany and brass. I taught my new journeyman how to make concave knurls while making this device,and the knurls were use on the knobs seen here. Also seen is a little swivel knife attachment that can be used to cut out paper patterns of ellipses,should need be.

The Anthony Hay Cabinet Shop in Williamsburg,Va. used this device to reproduce the decorated,veneered interior of a tool chest which you can now see there.

The 3rd. photo shows the "T" tracks that the brass guide blocks slide in. The action is quite smooth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc_0001.jpg   dsc_0005.jpg   dsc_0006.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm, I was just reading about ellipsographs ad thinking that would be both a handy tool and within my abilities. Thanks for the pictures.