Any my one heard of iMachinist band saws?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Any my one heard of iMachinist band saws?

I知 wanting to get a new saw and I知 dead set on a double or dual column but they are a bit more pricey but I found this brand on eBay and it will ship from out of the states but the name brand is iMachinist. They look like others but different color but I could t tell you of the others are even decent quality and I just can稚 chance buying a piece of shit so I知 head asking. They range from 4800 to 18,000 usd and I知 sure the ones for 18 are probably nice but not sure if they are as nice an armada kalamazoo or doall. So anyone heard of that brand?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The link you provided is ships out of china.

I know nothing of the "Brand" Imachinist, in fact I dont believe it to be a brand at all, its just a sticker, a label.
    Here in the US we consider a "brand" as something that identifies a particular company, with unique features that make it somewhat different from other similar items available in the market.
    I would bet there are many other identical band saws in china with different stickers on them.

I would be very skeptical that a large freight item from china will make it here undamaged. And even it does, you then have the quality-control issue to deal with.

If you're going to take a risk on an unknown chinese machine, I would suggest buying it from an importer like grizzly,jet,or baileigh. At least you will have some sort of english speaking contact, a warranty, and possible parts supplier if it is junk.
    If you order directly from china, you will have very limited options to correct any problems

....or find a used saw in the US that you know to be of high quality

4. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any product that slaps the letter i in front of the title immediately gets a "no thank you" from me.
    And if you're shopping for a new saw, Ebay is not the place to look. Go to MFG's websites, look on YouTube at reviews, etc...
    then pick the one you want, find a distributor from the MFG website and buy it.

6. Likes JDennis, GregSY liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking the same thing on brand name but that’s why I’ve come to the best place to ask a question machinery and get honest if sometimes brutal, not the case today. I’ve found good deals before on things that by price you would think were junk bc someone else sells a similar product at a much higher price but that’s happened maybe twice. Also I had to ask bc I really can’t take chance right now unless a couple people knew anything about them or say yes they are decent. Doesn’t look like it’s going to be the case this time though. Saws are just way over priced but you gotta pay to play I guess.

8. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_Laughlin View Post
    Saws are just way over priced
    Ain't that the truth. But some of the more expensive ones are worth it.

10. Likes Gobo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Ain't that the truth. But some of the more expensive ones are worth it.

So right. We recently acquired a Tsune cold saw. $200,000. Will cut 4 inch round 1018 in 40 seconds. That includes clamp, unclamp and material index time. Holds .002 on the overall length and cuts very square. Very happy with it.

12. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've never heard of the brand, but I'd run from that ebay seller. The "Imachinist" logo is a pretty bad photoshop job. Look at the trademark logo from image to image. You can also see some inappropriate color variations, and resolution changes. My guess is that this seller is just slapping his own sticker on some random Chinese saw. Not uncommon, and I have no general problem with it. But the photoshopping makes it likely that he doesn't even have the saw. He's just blind reselling a product that he hopes to be able to source after it's sold.

Regardless of the reason, I wouldn't trust anyone who photoshops pictures of what they're trying to sell.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This spring the shop got a Kalamazoo from MSC. what a disaster. Wouldn't cut and the blade kept running off. Not enough clearance between the wheel and blade so it jammed in between and ruined the blade. The company has a lot of buying power so Msc sent out people to get it tuned up. I think they spent 3 days adjusting it. Over all poor design. I had tried to get the boss to send it back as junk. Told him my $100 used Caroline cut better.

A Lenox rep came in and was really good and fine tuned the blade set up more for us.

Emailed a Kalamazoo rep to complain about the design issues and they just import it from Taiwan. Blade guides adjust vertically and angle with the same bolt. Just over size slots.guard and coolant uses the same bolt. The manual didn't cover adjusting the wheel alignment. I'm sure there were other issues I am forgetting.

Large electric box located low and close to the fence made it impossible to mount a roller table close.

It is a pivot type and when the head is up for a 6" or larger piece the coolant misses the coolant pan.
    Pretty large saw with power lift, looked good in the catalog. OOPS!!

I retired before I used it much, but advise stay away from it.
    I work a couple days a week in a friends shop now and he has a couple Marvel verticals with power feed. I really like these. The footprint isn't that much different just turned 90 degrees from a drop type.

Dave