Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    I still haven't completely fallen off the Tormach bandwagon (it's the next logical step for me), but from what I'm seeing it's a big paperweight. Again, it's a tough pill to swallow for the uninitiated and even for the slightly more initiated. And in my case I'm not chasing tolerances and just want something that will look half decent once made. But the more you know, the better final decision that you end up making, no question about that.
    IMO the problem with Tormach is that they've lost touch with their original market and their prices are pushing up to the point that most people would be better off with a used piece of professional iron, or just jumping straight into a Haas, Hurco, etc. Hell, even one of the Chinese companies making small CNC tools would probably be a better choice. I expect that we'll see some more competition in the sub-Tormach price range for similar machines, but much like Tormach, those companies will take time to grow.

To the uninitiated Tormachs also look to be comparable to a Haas, when that couldn't be further from the truth. NYC CNC is not helping on that front, I don't really follow John much but I've never seen him do a runoff of a part on the Tormach versus the Haases he has, especially when it comes to output and holding tolerances. I don't think he has a Mini Mill either, which would be the best comparison. I think he's got a TM-1, which isn't so far off I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John would never bad mouth the Tormach. They pay him too much to praise it.

I would guess Tormach is on the edge of doing a "real" CNC machine. As you say, the price point is nearly there anyway.

I'd be curious to see what they do with the control. All the hobby guys are so against a real CNC control. They want pretty pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    All the hobby guys are so against a real CNC control. They want pretty pictures.
    That's one way to look at it.

As a programmer, I have a different take. What you call 'real' CNC controls resemble a FORTRAN compiler from the 1980's compared with a modern integrated development environment of the current generation.

PDW

4. Likes jaguar36 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    That's one way to look at it.

As a programmer, I have a different take. What you call 'real' CNC controls resemble a FORTRAN compiler from the 1980's compared with a modern integrated development environment of the current generation.

PDW
    Horses for courses. It's about reliability. All other needs are secondary.

6. Likes npolanosky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Horses for courses. It's about reliability. All other needs are secondary.
    That I agree with 100%. But who's willing to give up Solidworks or a similar 3D parametric modeling package and use nothing but a CAD package written in the 1980's?

It amazes me how different manufacturers can take something as simple/functional as G code (equivalent to assembler programming IMO) and build so many incompatible interfaces, all of them proprietary.

It's insanity. Well no, it's marketing. What I don't understand is why there's been no rebellion.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Edge Precision

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All the hobby guys are so against a real CNC control. They want pretty pictures.
    meaning what?
    as a 'hobby guy' i put a 2007 Fadal VMC15 in my garage.
    "All the hobby guys.....They want pretty pictures"...??? pictures of what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John would never bad mouth the Tormach. They pay him too much to praise it.

I would guess Tormach is on the edge of doing a "real" CNC machine. As you say, the price point is nearly there anyway.

I'd be curious to see what they do with the control. All the hobby guys are so against a real CNC control. They want pretty pictures.
    I'm a machinist in a job shop and i want pretty pictures. So much easier to program on the control when you have a graphical interface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazz View Post
    Edge Precision
    We'd have to thank you for your well reasoned. Well thought out response. "Edge Precision". That says it all. Not.

Any chance you could put 6 or 8 words together, to form a sentence where Edge is the bomb???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by everettengr View Post
    meaning what? as a 'hobby guy' i put a 2007 Fadal VMC15 in my garage.
    "All the hobby guys.....They want pretty pictures"...??? pictures of what?
    So your control is only 12 years old.​ About 2 -3 generations ago. From a defunct manufacturer. Not sure how you self proclaimed hobby guys, slip under the radar for 154 posts. Its been mentioned 10 thousand times. Its a professional only forum.

Stick that in your garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by machtool View Post
    We'd have to thank you for your well reasoned. Well thought out response. "Edge Precision". That says it all. Not.

Any chance you could put 6 or 8 words together, to form a sentence where Edge is the bomb???
    My wild guess is that the poster, dazz, is actually adressing the original post's point and providing an answer to "Any Professional Youtube Metalworking Channels?"

The channel name is "Edge Precision", the machinist is Peter Stanton in Texas if my memory is correct and the link to the channel is here:
    YouTube

He is definitely a professional machinist and the stuff he shows, almost exclusively CNC milling and turning, is fascinating.

Jacques

14. Likes jaguar36 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snapatap View Post
    I'm a machinist in a job shop and i want pretty pictures. So much easier to program on the control when you have a graphical interface.
    You can get a full featured 2.5D CAD/CAM program for free any time you want it.

When I'm standing next to a machine that can move at 3000 inches a minute and spin a tool at 25,000 RPM with 20 kW to back it up, I'd prefer to leave Bill Gates out of it. Ditto on any system that was developed to do anything other than give 100% reliable realtime control.

I worked with an Okuma HMC once that had similar specs. It had a fancy Windows front end interface that made pretty pictures. The Windows controlled interface had a fun habit of freezing up for several minutes at a time, and sometimes never recovering. Meanwhile, the proprietary realtime PLC that was actually controlling the machine would zip along just short of light speed executing the G code perfectly.

16. Likes macgyver liked this post