What's new
What's new

Any reason not to use a threading insert for internal boring

Bill D

Diamond
I need to do some smaller(-1/2") internal boring. My smallest boring bar is 3/4". Can I just use my internal threading bar with the three point lay flat inserts? I realize it will be less then ideal and I will have to go slow with shallow cuts. Would a proper boring bar with triangle inserts actually be that much better? I suppose the tip would have more support is all I can see from pictures. Easier to me if I can use the same inserts that I already have.
Bill D

Only real downsides are very tight radius tip and the fact you can't bore to a flat bottom. If you can work with those, should be fine.

I don't think there is much more support on the triangle insert type. Lay flat I have fit in a seat and are held well, in reality they have to be able to cut the full depth of the thread and it approaches the final cut. The sharp tip and not being able to get as near the bottom as Mike pointed out is the only issue. Little diamond stoning could add radius to the tip.

Laydown inserts typically lack any sort of chip breaker but that just means more birdsnest.

Back