Any sources for coarse 1/4" thread other than 1/4-20? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    I e never seen one in person, I'd love to get my hands on one just to check it out.
    You've seen them, you just don't know that you've seen them. The screws that hold the cover on a circuit breaker panel are just one example of double lead screws. They go in fast because the thread is steep but can still grip thin sheet metal.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I e never seen one in person, I'd love to get my hands on one just to check it out.
    Just about every one has seen them. Milk jugs, Gatorade bottles, blah blah blah. Not only are they faster by they "prevent" cross threading. The average joe would cross thread their caps all the time if it wasn't for multi start threads.

There are several different ways to cut them and lots of good info out there. Depending on the pitch and lathe you can sometimes do it with the thread dial, if you have a D1-# mount that is divisible by your start number then you can take the chuck off and index it. Several other ways but obviously a CNC turning center is the ultimate solutions.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I looked at the iced tea bottle I have here and sho nuff it's dual start...ya learn something new every day. Lol

4. Likes Demon73, awake liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I looked at the iced tea bottle I have here and sho nuff it's dual start...ya learn something new every day. Lol
    How did a person get to Titanium and not know about multi start threads.?????
    ...lewie...

6. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewie View Post
    How did a person get to Titanium and not know about multi start threads.?????
    ...lewie...
    I've heard of them, seen em made on YouTube just never (so I thought) seen them in hand.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned a two start 16 pitch, giving you 16 pitch but the strength of 32 pitch.
    But the lead will be the same as an 8 tpi, which may be a lot more advance on the screw than he is looking for.

10. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    But the lead will be the same as an 8 tpi, which may be a lot more advance on the screw than he is looking for.
    I don't think so...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awander View Post
    I don't think so...
    I was thinking 2 start cut 16 pitch would give you 32 tpi and would be called 16 pitch. I could be wrong as its been some time since I've played with them. I know how to use and make them, not the technical terminology although I'm sure there is someone here that knows lots about multi start threads.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking 2 start cut 16 pitch would give you 32 tpi and would be called 16 pitch. I could be wrong as its been some time since I've played with them. I know how to use and make them, not the technical terminology although I'm sure there is someone here that knows lots about multi start threads.
    I believe the correct terminology is 32 pitch, 16 lead.

32 pitch means that there are physically 32 threads for each inch of fastener, and 16 lead means that 16 rotations will advance the fastener one inch. If you are cutting the threads, the tool should have the same lead angle as a 16 tpi tool, but you stop cutting at 32 tpi depth and start again 180° away.

When I was making myself a pen, I cut a 28 tpi for the body-section thread, and then a 7 lead 28 pitch 4-start thread for the cap so that it would look the same but screw on and off without going forever, and the torque transfer would never over-tighten the cap enough to freeze it to the section and unscrew it from the body. I was able to use the thread dial by engaging the leadscrew on 7 tpi for each of the starts, using the "phantom" engagement points between ticks:

1. On the numbers
    2. In between the numbered mark and the non-numbered mark
    3. On the non-numbered marks
    4. In between the non-numbered mark and the numbered one

Some people also plunge into their work with the cross-slide, and then advance the compound along the axis by one pitch length and go again. If you had no other way to do a 3 or 5 or 7 start I think it would work OK but it just doesn't feel as accurate as an index-based method.

14. Likes Hardplates liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awander View Post
    I don't think so...
    He said 16 tpi, double start with a thread depth of 32 tpi. So each individual thread has to move twice as far per revolution as a single start. That's a lead of 8 tpi.

Nice solution to the problem, except getting a double-start tap might be a bitch ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He said 16 tpi, double start with a thread depth of 32 tpi. So each individual thread has to move twice as far per revolution as a single start. That's a lead of 8 tpi.

Nice solution to the problem, except getting a double-start tap might be a bitch ?
    Yep, so the pitch is 32 and a two-start would have a lead of 16. A four-start could be made with a lead of 8, and it would still have a pitch of 32.

Limy Sami linked a source for multi-start taps in post #15 but it didn't look like 1/4-32 was one of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was my thought, why don't we see double start taps in the catalogs. The OP's needs were for exactly 16 turns per inch? If close enough is good then a double start "28 tpi" would give 14 turns per inch. That tap might be a little cheaper to have made or easier to find on the shelf.

Quoting BoxcarPete
    "Limy Sami linked a source for multi-start taps in post #15 but it didn't look like 1/4-32 was one of them." 28 pitch 14 lead are on the shelf!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We get triple lead 10-32 taps from Widell industries on a regular basis.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually I said 16 pitch, not 16 tpi. What it is actually called I'm not sure but there would be 32 threads per inch and it would advance at a rate of 1 inch per 16 revolutions.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Biggest thread we've made here was a 655MMx17MM triple lead thread. We broke 2 straps when we first tried to pick up the 6000lb raw material after it got delivered. Then we got some REALLY good chains. It's pretty easy to do. Just take your thread pitch and multiply it by the start. So if you were to do a 1/4x20 as a doulble lead you would feed it twice as fast and triple 3x as fast.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess my biggest question is how to index the start...I would guess it has to do with the thread dial but it's just a really w a g lol

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually I said 16 pitch, not 16 tpi. What it is actually called I'm not sure but there would be 32 threads per inch and it would advance at a rate of 1 inch per 16 revolutions.
    Unclear on the terminology then, normally "pitch" is determined by threads per inch, although I am more of a worm and wormwheel guy so without digging into a Machinery's Handbook, things could be different with threads.

But I doubt it When you say "pitch" in relation to worms and gears, it is always from one tooth to the next and it appears to be the same with threads.

Therefore, 16 pitch is 16 tpi, no matter how many starts. The lead for a two start would be twice the lead for a single start, eight revolutions per inch of linear travel.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unclear on the terminology then, normally "pitch" is determined by threads per inch, although I am more of a worm and wormwheel guy so without digging into a Machinery's Handbook, things could be different with threads.

But I doubt it When you say "pitch" in relation to gears, it is always from one tooth to the next and it appears to be the same with threads.

Therefore, 16 pitch is 16 tpi, no matter how many starts. The lead for a two start would be twice the lead for a single start, eight revolutions per inch of linear travel.

You are correct, what I should have said was 32 pitch 16 lead

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess my biggest question is how to index the start...I would guess it has to do with the thread dial but it's just a really w a g lol
    Sometimes the thread dial, if you have a D1-# with a number of pins divisible by the start number you can take the chuck off and index. You can hold a collet block with the right number of sides and index that. Or the best way is to program it