Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jscpm View Post
    I just heard from the WABECO rep that they are no longer making the inch version, so it looks like I am out of luck there potentially.
    You are not "out of luck".

You never had any "luck" to begin with ... looking for a "proper" lathe under 350 pounds.

Avoir AND/OR Sterling.

You need to start adding zeros on the right ... or integers on the left.

Better yet? Both.

Avoir OR Sterling..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
    SB's sound nice.
    Unless you have actually used small good lathes with higher spindle speeds and solid, accurate workholding options (small Hardinges, e.g.)
    The specified plain bearing clearance for SB 9" or 10K is .0005 to .00075
    Sounds small - until compared with say Hardinge 25 millionths. (20 to 30 x difference)

Jim R probably remembers my attempts to determine how much hydrodynamic action decreased this.
    The results were somewhat ambiguous - my torque wrench broke about the time it was getting interesting

No matter, the rest of an SB is about similar re rigidity and repeatability. Very good in clean/new/well adjusted examples, but not in the same territory as higher end machines of similar conditions. And generally, the higher end machines will maintain those tolerances everywhere for much longer periods.

Is OP request for a lab or test facility?

smt

While I agree with what you say, smt, the OP hasn’t specified his intent for a lathe other than a few throw away phrases. I don’t know if he needs to hold a thou over, say three inches? Regularly and easily do with my South Bend 9”. Or does he really need within half a thou or less, for which I need emery paper on the SB, or just put the job on my Chipmaster….. My guess is he’d do just fine with the jobs he’s likely to do on a lightly worn South Bend, but he’s got a bias again them. His money, his decision.

L7

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
    To remind you, this has been addressed several times and we all agree.
    I have never suggested an HLV-H, that was others.
    In the post you quoted, it was merely a comparison of quality.
    The OP seems to be looking for something more Schaublin like, e.g.
    IOW, Find similar-to-Hardinge quality/tolerance that is still made. 4c or smaller spindle & lathe.
    Though that seems less & less likely?

smt
    Lathe has to have an inch lead screw though. Any Schaublin with a lead screw will be way over the weight limit too.
    There's no hardinge lathe with a leadscrew, other than an HLVH. He probably doesn't want a TL!

=)

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Lathe has to have an inch lead screw though. Any Schaublin with a lead screw will be way over the weight limit too.
    There's no hardinge lathe with a leadscrew, other than an HLVH. He probably doesn't want a TL!

=)

Jim
    Schaublin did make a benchtop version of the 102n-vm but finding one is another story. He could ask Schaublin if they still supply the 102n-vm as a benchtop model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    Schaublin did make a benchtop version of the 102n-vm but finding one is another story. He could ask Schaublin if they still supply the 102n-vm as a benchtop model.
    Super nice machine - but probably has a metric lead screw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IMO, maybe a Myford is a good choice, then get a good pocket calculator app for his phone. Stick a piece of tape on it and write "25.4".

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an imperial Astoba UW1. You could bench mount it and its a great machine. But not available new.

I think the best option would be pursuing emco or at one time TOS in the czech Republic made the MD80, that might be available new.

Using change gears. There will be no pitch issues with any machine that uses a 127/120 pair.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think new and with a native imperial leadscrew there a 0 new options that aren't cheap and nasty.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT op [There are some German makes such as Schaublin and WABECO that have benchtop lathes, but they both appear to be metric]

If price is no object the op could buy such and have a reputable shop add an imperial leadscrew to the cross with inch dials, along with cross and long travel DRO that would be a very nice lathe..I would have larger dials added so as to see the numbers better.

QT{My budget is pretty open-ended. I am willing to go to maybe $30,000 or more.}
    So adding a taper attachment to the custom build would be an asset.

*A custom bench might also be added so a 500Lb lathe would be safe on a normal floor.

And I would add a tail centers steady..with a standard tail's long travel quill made for such as drilling, reaming and the like but not really needed for turning I would have made a tail that is only 3" long. When a longer part is turned the original tail would be taken off and the short simple tail would be installed...Yes it should be designed with a taper bore so a dead or live center could be used.
    Agree the center's distance on the WABECO 6000 is 23.6" and that is decent for a small lathe and the compound need to be turned with a tail steady to extend the length of use because of saddle travel limits. one might only get an extra 5" or 6".

I think it is a darn shame that the WABECO 6000 only has a 1 3/16" spindle bore.

and I think the Schaublin bench lathes have a smaller spindle bore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Which makes it a Harry Homeshop toy.....

Here's the place for YOU.....
    Projects and Articles on Our Forum! | The Hobby-Machinist
    Very witty - not!

The OP has particular requirements that may have more to do with institutional purchasing requirements rather than personal whim. In such a case there is no way to get funding for a used machine, and the 350 pound weight limit MAY be due to a need to install it someplace like a research vessel where the old Maximat V10P was used in many similar situations. Getting a larger heavier machine into what is essentially a converted passenger cabin is nearly impossible as suitable lifting equipment is seldom available outside of machinery spaces.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Very witty - not!

The OP has particular requirements that may have more to do with institutional purchasing requirements rather than personal whim. In such a case there is no way to get funding for a used machine, and the 350 pound weight limit MAY be due to a need to install it someplace like a research vessel where the old Maximat V10P was used in many similar situations. Getting a larger heavier machine into what is essentially a converted passenger cabin is nearly impossible as suitable lifting equipment is seldom available outside of machinery spaces.
    Please do not try to change the forum to your wishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Please do not try to change the forum to your wishes.
    Get over yourself.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think a half thousandth and less is not that easy on any smaller lathes and just a claim to be one of the finest lathes like the WABECO likely does not change that. Likely a top condition 8" SB (3/4 spindle bore) would do just fine and the likes of a Rockwell 1024 would do about as good as any machine one could find but it is likely way overweight requirements (but a very small spindle bore).

The op knows what wants and has the bucks to do as he chooses. I would like to have a brand spanking new WABECO (with 1 3/16 bore).

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    I think a half thousandth and less is not that easy on any smaller lathes and just a claim to be one of the finest lathes like the WABECO likely does not change that. Likely a top condition 8" SB (3/4 spindle bore) would do just fine and the likes of a Rockwell 1024 would do about as good as any machine one could find but it is likely way overweight requirements (but a very small spindle bore).

The op knows what wants and has the bucks to do as he chooses. I would like to have a brand spanking new WABECO (with 1 3/16 bore).

Some here may scoff at this but I can reliably take a tenth out of a bore in aluminum with my S11, Iscar inserts and a good dial indicator on the cross slide (50 millionths cut).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    Some here may scoff at this but I can reliably take a tenth out of a bore in aluminum with my S11, Iscar inserts and a good dial indicator on the cross slide (50 millionths cut).
    A very nice lathe the S11
    Emco Maximat Super 11 Lathe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    Cant resist. So you are saying if the part has bore of .5 you can make it 5.0001 reliably? If so I call bullshit .
    Bob

17. Likes SIP6A liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The standard modern is considered a good lathe... Yes too heavy for the OP at 1450 pounds.
    Interesting here is the price difference between a catalog machine and one made for the military.
    $22K and $59K (USD)
    Standard Modern Lathe Models 1334 - Penn Tool Co., Inc

The unmentionable Green lathe in this size costs about $6500 so people should not expect it to be even close.

I visited a PM unmentionable lathe manufacturer (not green) that was out of one lathe with filling a big military order.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Cant resist. So you are saying if the part has bore of .5 you can make it 5.0001 reliably? If so I call bullshit .
    Bob
    "Some here may scoff at this..."

Well that didn't take long.

I was fitting some bearings in 6061 and had a number I wanted to hit. With a little trial and error it was easier to take a few tenths cut to get there but if needed I could take a tenth out. That's just measured with a Mitutoyo 511 bore gage mind you, not some nuclear powered, triple certified inside mic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not to be a jerk but what you did here is not what you claimed to be able to do
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find it easier to swivel the top slide a couple of degrees off 90 if I'm trying to catch a tenth.

Did part of my training on Standard Modern 13"ers. Liked em!

L7