What's new
What's new

Anybody machine Proxima 2112?

doug925

Titanium
I have a quote for 10 pcs of a prototype "seal ring" made from this material. Proxima 2112.
There is little to no machining information on the web, so I thought I'd ask here.

The part is a ring, with a Ø3.950 OD & 2.770 ID, 1.0" lg
The tolerances are +-0.005 in most cases.
They will be turned, bored, and parted off from a 6"lg tube, with a 5.4 OD & a 2.6 ID.

Is there anything special I need to know about this material, to accomplish the basic machining????

Thanks,

Doug.

Hi Doug.
I've never heard of or machined Proxima 2112 so looked it up to see what it was

Like you I found next to nothing, ......it seems to be a thermoplastic, so I'd follow the basic rules of plastics, ultra sharp tooling, keep the speed down (say 300ft / min) and feed up so the tool doesn't rub and cause heat.

Turn a plug for the bore to give the chuck jaws something to bite on - and keep the chucking pressure low.

IME + / - 0.005'' isn't much at those sizes, so I'd stabilise the temperature of the material to working and measuring temp - plastics take time so 12 hours minimum.

Then if the materials very expensive, I'd machine a ring say + 0.025'' all over but leave it ''half attached'' to the parent, measure and note, and leave for 12 hours in the same temp before re-measuring, and adjust my cuts accordingly.

Another tidbit. This stuff looks to be rather toxic. Take all needed precautions.

https://www.tri-iso.com/documents/Materia_Proxima_HPR_2112_SDS.pdf

Paul

Thats the data sheet for the liquid resin though, not the solid plastic, reality is most properly catalysed polymers are significantly less toxic than there liquid resins, if they were not most plastics - rubbers would break down a lot lot faster in the environment. This is like comparing the MSDS for fluorine to the toxicity posed by PTFE in the solid form, yeah its a constituant and its a dangerous one, but so long as your not thermally or chemically decomposing the polymer, the risks are just no longer there in the solid.

In fact generally with most polymers the nastier the ingredients the more stable and chemical resistant the final reacted resin ends up as its much harder to break those bonds and free the nasties.

Back