What's new
What's new

Anyone ever heard of "cva" lathe chucks "england"

THEJKSHOW

Plastic
Well i have an "ensign" lathe ,or sometimes referred to as "elliot ,or wilson" lathes. Anyways ... I have a 8-1/2" 3-jaw chuck made by "cva" serial # "3/017312 l0" ,made in england. ......... In need of some replacement jaws for it. Any info ,or help locating these would be greatly appreciated. 🙂🙂

There was an English CVA lathe, perhaps related in some way to your chuck. They made some very fine lathes and might have had Pratt Burnerd, for instance, produce some high precision chucks and mark them CVA. Hardinge has sold chucks for their lathes tagged, "Hardinge by Buck."

If you just need top jaws, they are probably easy to get in many places. If you need master jaws or one-piece jaws, chances are slim.

CVA Precision Lathes

Larry

What are "master" jaws ,and "one-piece" jaws ? ... I don't mean to sound dumb. I just don't know. Thanks for answering my question in advance. 🙂 i'm only familiar with is what i call inners ,and outers for a 3-jaw. I have 2 sets for this chuck. The ones i most often use are the inners i call them. The other jaws are used to hold on a larger outside diameter. And thanks for that link , it was helpful ,and looks exactly like the crest on my chuck.

Lathe chucks may come with two sets of one-piece jaws, the inners and outers, as you call them. But you can buy chucks with one set of two-piece jaws. The master jaws stay in the chuck. The top jaws are fastened to the master jaws with screws and can be removed and turned around to do either inner or outer work. You can also buy different types of soft top jaws that can be custom machined for greater accuracy for special jobs.

Here is a picture of a chuck with two-piece jaws.

Larry

DSC01634.jpg

There was an English CVA lathe, perhaps related in some way to your chuck. They made some very fine lathes and might have had Pratt Burnerd, for instance, produce some high precision chucks and mark them CVA. Hardinge has sold chucks for their lathes tagged, "Hardinge by Buck."

If you just need top jaws, they are probably easy to get in many places. If you need master jaws or one-piece jaws, chances are slim.

CVA Precision Lathes

Larry

I think you're right there Larry. I wouldn't have thought they made their own chucks. As you say it's probably a re-branded " Pratt - Burnerd ".

Regards Tyrone.

I believe CVA was a subsidiary of Kearney and Trecker. Among other things, they made a copy of Lodge & Shipley's Powerturn, which Lodge then imported into the USA.

cva lathes use the popular d1-3 chuck mount. You would have no problem finding a whole chuck to fit it.

yeah probably ,but this chuck & my lathe use keyed machine taper & large threaded shaft collar. Not sure what the taper is though. 🙂

Back