What's new
What's new

Where do I get jaws for a 6" Bridgeport Vise?

moespeeds

Plastic
I've got a really old 6" wide bridgeport vise that I got with my machine. It works ok for the type of work I do, but I'd like to get new jaws. I'd really like to get a new vise, I was looking at Kurt's but a swivel base model is way out of my price range. Any suggestions for a 6" wide by 7" opening swivel base vise? My budget is around $600.

2012-02-27_10-31-59_278.jpg

Sorry I should have been more specific. I don't think I could accurately make my own jaws, I don't have a surface grinder. I build custom motorcycles in my spare time, so I just dabble in machining, mostly making brackets, pegs, grips, etc. I generally don't need a very high degree of precision, but the jaws on this vise are kind of rounded off, and I'd really like to get more than the 5" opening that I have now, hence my looking at a new vise.

Depending on where they came from, the jaws are likely hardened. Do you know anyone with a grinder? I would just reface them.

On a side note. You may want to make ones of aluminum that you can customize for a job. Once the jaws are in place, true them up with the mill's cutter and you are dead on.

Tom

MSCDIRECT has prehardened ground steel stock. You should be able to find a size which will work. It can be machined!
Ok.. it's not as hard as the originals, but it should work.

As 'TDegenhart' says, follow his lead. He's right on point. I would add, 7075-T6 aluminum is HARD! (for aluminum) Your special jaws made for it will last a long time.

ADDITIONAL Information:

There is nothing wrong with a Bridgeport vise! Ok.. it needs some tuning up. A very good lesson for you is take it all apart and see how it works. Then either the front end or the back end could stand to have (maybe) an inch sawed off (1/2" off both ends?) to allow more open width. I have not done it myself, it's just an idea. (edit: I just took another look, the jaw probably needs to be that long to hide the screw.)

Also, under the moving jaw are side plates, they hold the jaw down, and were never all that accurately made. Examine them and figure out what you can do to make them a closer running fit. Examine it during the day and try to figure it out. But! Sleep on it during the night, and the next day your subconscious may have unwound a better solution for you. ;)

If you can improve these conditions you'll have a better vise than the Kurt. You already have the swivel plate.
I urge you to give this an effort. A machinist is a machinist, because if he needs a tool he will make it, to solve the problem.

So if you need a better vise and you can improve on the one you have, and do it to your satisfaction, you will have what you want and you will also gain a LOT of self respect. You might even jump up, and throw you fist in the air and say, "I did it!"

Now the great news. Every time you use that vise, you will crack a smile of accomplishment. Believe me, there is nothing like that!

Regards,

Stan-

X on the other two replies, especially the Alu jaws.

FWIW - unless I'm doing longish production runs, where vise jaws have to hold up. I don't use hardened jaws,.... the soft ones are easy to modify - and don't smash cutters when you accidently clip them ;)

A new KURT is <$600

If you really need a swivel base, buy a used kurt on ebay.

You should be able to get one for under $600, and even have some money left over for new jaws if needed

I would but material and make a few sets. Pre ground and hardened normal jaws, Soft alum or bronze jaws and i have a set with a horizontal and vertical V block machined into them allready. Great for round work that does not have to be perfect.

I recently bought a used Kurt on Ebay. I also bought some jaws from Ebay seller bobs107 and I'm happy with them. I'd bet he can make some for the Bridgeport.

Vise Jaws

The jaws in your photo look to be the standard Bridgeport hard jaws. I do not see where they are rounded. If you are refering to the bevels, they come that way. They are hardened and should be just fine. Replacement "soft jaws" are usually made from aluminum or mild steel bar stock, cut to length, drilled and tapped to fit. Then machined to suite the job at hand. They are considered dispoable. You can even weld brackets to them to hold those awkward items that need to be machined. No need to worry about ruining the good jaws. I have even seen soft jaws made from plastics to hold polished parts needing post plating operations. Yes the Kurt style vise is easier to change jaws on, and has a larger standard capacity by moving the jaws in or out, but,y our vise is fine and with a little creative thinking you can even use it to hold those parts that people buy Kurt style vises for.

Back