What's new
What's new

Anyone have any knowledge of this tool steel alloy?

Mikel Levy

Aluminum
I acquired a number of these "Bonded Carbide" steel toolbits along with some other lathe stuff, but I have never seen this alloy before, nor can I find any information on it. I kinda doubt it's just a pretty substrate for a brazed-on carbide tip, as some of these have ground cutting edges. Anyone know what this stuff is? I suspect it might be some poor quality import product. Thanks for any info or even an educated guess.

Mike

Tool bit.jpg

Any time I have seen dull orange sparks on a tool bit it has been a lower quality item. They seem to work OK if you run them slow and a lighter feed.

Ed.

IME high speed steels have a long bright spark stream when ground aggressively. Stellites have much shorter spark streams, which are bright orange. Tungsten carbides will be a shorter yet spark stream, and a lighter orange than stellite.

Tungsten carbide is way heavier than HSS and stellite is in between heavier, but easily detected in the hand.

Good luck,
Matt

IME high speed steels have a long bright spark stream when ground aggressively. Stellites have much shorter spark streams, which are bright orange. Tungsten carbides will be a shorter yet spark stream, and a lighter orange than stellite.

Tungsten carbide is way heavier than HSS and stellite is in between heavier, but easily detected in the hand.

Good luck,
Matt
And stellite is non-magnetic. HSS attracts strongly to magnets, tungsten carbide only mildly.

I acquired a number of these "Bonded Carbide" steel toolbits along with some other lathe stuff, but I have never seen this alloy before, nor can I find any information on it. I kinda doubt it's just a pretty substrate for a brazed-on carbide tip, as some of these have ground cutting edges. Anyone know what this stuff is? I suspect it might be some poor quality import product. Thanks for any info or even an educated guess.

Mike

View attachment 240450

The "Grand Old" major makers of the HSS (and stellite) tribe do tend to have better finishes, even if showing grinder swirl, and to do a decent, even rather elegant, job of marking with a "name"(Tatung G, Rex 95) than what you foto'ed.

So yes, looks "offshore", and with English-language markings I will SWAG India, and not necessarily even export-target.

But WOTHELL.. just go try it. It might be usefuler that average and decent value for money at knocking-down initial passes of corncob weld or the like that tears up most tools anyway. "Cobra" were like that, and they were only ignorant T1's.

Strange Steel Alloy

Mike

View attachment 240450
Vanadium Carbide heat treats like tool steel at 1450 deg. Quench in oil and hardens to 70Rc. Stelite is a bonded cardide. Look it up on the internet for information. Pure speculation on my part!

Roger

Back