What's new
What's new

Anyone have diminsions for a 326-455 Pontiac, valve cover, or head?

doug925

Titanium
I have a pair of valve cover spacers that need a small oring groove cut on the top and bottom. (really just a splash guard, not really sealing, per the customer)

The ends are elliptical (at least my comparator seems to think) and I get different radii each time I use the shadow probe.
If anyone has a solid or dim's I would appreciate it.
I did find a file on grabcad, but no solids in the file list. (I can try to trace the jpg in my cam system, but no guarantee it will work.)

Thanks,

Doug

Maybe try the PHS (Pontiac Historical Society), or Butler performance or even Tin Indian performance. Might be a way to get a new customer too!

Note that there were some changes to the sealing surfaces over the years so you need to consider the vintage of the heads and covers. A wide ("universal") cork gasket can generally bridge across the differences, not sure about an O-Ring.

Note that there were some changes to the sealing surfaces over the years so you need to consider the vintage of the heads and covers. A wide ("universal") cork gasket can generally bridge across the differences, not sure about an O-Ring.

I had not thought about different vintage motors.....
The customer is currently using cork gaskets, but they want o-rings. (if they want it, we will try it)
Thanks!

If he's using cast iron heads, I doubt an o-ring will seal.

And....I also think he's daydreaming if he tells you the o-ring is a 'splash shield' and not a seal. It sounds as if he's trying to use o-rings instead of cork gaskets (like you said). That makes it a seal.

I'm gonna have to assume your customer is a problem child for three reasons:

1) He's not telling you the truth
2) He's trying to do something that won't produce good results
3) He's working on a Pontiac engine

After a talk with the customer, he does not need o-rings. He needs to stay with the cork gaskets, which were too tall in combination with the spacers.
Now we are just going to deck 0.2" from the top of the spacer, giving him the necessary height clearance.

Not really a problem child, just a 'buddy deal' :willy_nilly:

Back