What's new
What's new

Anyone have a Valenite catalog I can have?

Shop Supply Guru

Hot Rolled
I am a distributor sales guy and I sell Walter. As most know Walter & Valenite was purchased by Sandvik and they were combined into one line at some point. I frequently get questions about older Valenite tools but have nothing in the way of catalog to reference their part#'s or tools and a lot of their stuff was funky or proprietary.

If anyone has a 2000's catalog I would love to take it off your hands, pay for shipping etc or trade you some freebie inserts.

The late 90's-2000 catalog is quite big. Two 4 inch binders so eight inches on the shelf.
Some of us will never come off of these and the others that date back into the 70s.
You could however ask a friend to look it up and send you a PDF of the page(s) you need.
Bob
(If I had a duplicate set of these I'd send no problem but I have only one which is strange as the Valenite sales manager at this time frame took over control of the family carbide company.)

I liked the Valenite stuff. Seems there is tooling still used today. They also had some really good spiral bound shop reference books comparable to the popular ready reference book for the toolbox. I had one for years and one day I threw it away. That was a mistake I still regret.

I liked the Valenite stuff. Seems there is tooling still used today. They also had some really good spiral bound shop reference books comparable to the popular ready reference book for the toolbox. I had one for years and one day I threw it away. That was a mistake I still regret.

My Walter rep has been with the company 20 years back when it was Valenite. He says Valenite didn't have the best tools in the day but their service and support was awesome. They were also pretty great at entertaining!

Too bad I threw out the big binders a couple years ago when I moved.

Please tell your higher-ups that it's a shame they stopped supporting the econimizer line of face mills. They were no-frills but worked very good

Glad it got there and hope its of use. There is a certain amount of guilt associated with that catalog for me. At the time, I tore a card out of a magazine and sent it in expecting a small catalog in the mail, A couple of weeks later, a salesman showed up with visions of large sales in his head. I was at work (Boeing engineer at the time), so my wife explained my amateur machinist status to him. He laughed at himself and his organization and left the catalog.

Too bad I threw out the big binders a couple years ago when I moved.

Please tell your higher-ups that it's a shame they stopped supporting the econimizer line of face mills. They were no-frills but worked very good

I'm actually a distributor rep but I work very closely with Walter. They have great product but often make bizarre organizational/ product decisions.

What exactly was the economizer face mill?

From what it sounds like it may be like the newer M4000 Series which is 7 styles of indexable mills that take the same style of insert. 45 degree face mill, shoulder mill, high feed mill, drill mill, chamfer mill, t-slot cutter, porcupine cutter.

Glad it got there and hope its of use. There is a certain amount of guilt associated with that catalog for me. At the time, I tore a card out of a magazine and sent it in expecting a small catalog in the mail, A couple of weeks later, a salesman showed up with visions of large sales in his head. I was at work (Boeing engineer at the time), so my wife explained my amateur machinist status to him. He laughed at himself and his organization and left the catalog.

That's funny I'm surprised he didn't try to buddy up to you knowing you worked at Boeing!

I'm actually a distributor rep but I work very closely with Walter. They have great product but often make bizarre organizational/ product decisions.

What exactly was the economizer face mill?

From what it sounds like it may be like the newer M4000 Series which is 7 styles of indexable mills that take the same style of insert. 45 degree face mill, shoulder mill, high feed mill, drill mill, chamfer mill, t-slot cutter, porcupine cutter.

What year is the catalog? It might be in there. A valenite rep came out in 1993 when we bought our first machine...that econimizer served us well. The insert is a TEGA 4.53.xxx PJ 1S UK20

It's a 1983 yes the economizer is in it. Being new school this milling catalog is very interesting because at a quick glance all the mills use a square or triangle insert with a tweak here or there on the insert and cutting angle. I'm guessing back in the day it was a pretty sweet selection but to me it's super redundant.

Back