What's new
What's new

Anyone know anything about vibration dampening tables

Silverdrgn

Plastic
Hello, I recently ran across a kinetic systems vibraplane table. I know nothing about it is it a good choice to build a cnc machine on it or is its use more for quality control checks? Looks like a marble/granite top with perforated stainless steel...

I really think you would be much served over at "the zone"
Sadly I cannot provide a linky, software hear deny's it.

Thanks Doug, I will post there also. It's such a vast set of topics it makes it difficult and sometimes responses take a long time.

As stated they're for optical systems/tests etc. They generally automatically level themselves to critically sensitive optics aren't effected by minute angle changes etc...

Awesome description car2. That info was very helpful. Wow! Those were some large tables you guys had. Thank you country boy for confirmation.

NB they are all modular, and a lot of people conflate the optical table itself with the self leveling air legs. You can have them with or without air legs and the tables themselves range in thickness from 4" to 12" or more.

My guess is the OP is trying to keep the vibrations from his "cnc machine" from getting out or off of the table. Most optical benches and setups that I have worked with are trying to keep ambient vibrations from other machinery in the room or building or passing trucks etc from getting in to or on to the table.
To put it more simply:

1. Are you trying to keep your CNC machine from getting vibrations from the environment?
or
2. Are you trying to keep your environment from getting vibrations from the CNC machine?

In case 1 an optical bench is ideal but expensive. Depends on the frequency and and amplitude of the vibrations you are isolating your machine from. Also depends on the size of your bank account.

In case 2 you can build a bench of suitable stiffness, size, and mass for MUCH less money than an optical bench system will cost you. Depends on the on the frequency, amplitude, mass and accelerations of the vibrating/moving parts of your machine.

-DU-

Back