What's new
What's new

Anyone Know a Material Seller with Flexible Shipping Options?

Kevin T

Stainless
I am trying to buy material to use for lathe projects but it seems like everyone I've enncountered uses UPS. Probably because they are large and UPS picks up at the location? For me to get decent value I am looking for a place that can ship me shorter lengths in a flat rate box. Does anyone have a recomendation?

So there are downsides to living in a tropical paradise... If you have friends that are close to a distributor in any industrial-ish town you could have them pick up metal from the drops area and send them USPS Flat Rate.

There have to be shops that repair boats down there, can you work something out with one of them?

Look on ebay, quite a few sellers there can provide that service, what they cannot usually provide is certs, but it does not sound like you need those.

Thanks I was spending a lot of time clicking around on Ebay but for some reason only the larger guys that can't do it were showing up. After a while I found a few, not as good of a selelction as the bigger guys but they are out there. I was thinking that a larger foundry or re-seller might have shorter sizes of materials left over from cut length jobs and put a person in charge of getting rid of it. If I have to pay UPS 60 bucks for shipping a couple of 1 foot lengths of 2011-T3 in 1.25 and 3.0 Dia that is 40 dollars more than a USPS flat rate box with the two items in it. I could buy 40 bucks more of the stock they are trying to get rid of. Back to search mode!

You know, every other member here probably has piles of drops that go in the scrap bin and are basically given away to the recycling yard. Maybe post what you want and one of us might have it laying around?

Back