What's new
What's new

haidenhain dro

dian

Titanium
is there any vendor offering a 3-axis dro box compatible with haidenhain scales? (LS 803, 11 micro amps, 40 micro mm, vss signal.) i was quoted 1500$ for ND780. anything less expensive out there?

ND 780s are available for US$950 and there was a couple of used ones on ebay a couple of months ago where the seller was asking $750. I emailed him suggesting he was asking too much given what they're selling for now new, and made him what I thought was a reasonable offer, but he didn't reply. It's possible they're still listed, I don't do business with people who can't be bothered replying so haven't checked.

I also have the older scales, you need to factor in to the cost the additional cost of adapter cables, as the plugs on the old and new scales are not the same.

Pete

is there any vendor offering a 3-axis dro box compatible with haidenhain scales? (LS 803, 11 micro amps, 40 micro mm, vss signal.) i was quoted 1500$ for ND780. anything less expensive out there?

Dian,

The LS 803 scales are ancient. (70's and 80's) Unless I miss my guess altogether they will not work with a modern readout. You will need a VRZ 713 readout or something similar which you will have to hunt second hand. Singer may have one. I do no for a certainty that Heidenhain no longer support the old equipment.

OWen

Dian,

The LS 803 scales are ancient. (70's and 80's) Unless I miss my guess altogether they will not work with a modern readout. You will need a VRZ 713 readout or something similar which you will have to hunt second hand. Singer may have one. I do no for a certainty that Heidenhain no longer support the old equipment.

OWen

Where did you get that information?

well, i can still get the scales from haidenhain (if needed). they are over $1000 however.

Dian,

OWen

LS803 scales are indeed ancient.
However, one of the nice things about the ND780 is the fact it recognises and works just fine with old scales.
I run LS 803`s on my ND780, no problems at all.

Dian, for budget`s sake you could consider one of the older ND`s that are on Ebay Germany often.
Prices about €450,-.
Which one will work with your scales may be found in the manuals which are available online at heidenhain.de.

On edit : to fit LS 803`s to the ND 780 you`ll need adapter cables.
To go between the traditional round plug of the scales to the DSub connectors of the ND 780.
With the help of an electronically savy friend I made them myself.
Could dig out the schematics and part#`s I used if you`re interested.
Note : in the end not much cheaper then just buying the cables on Ebay

LS803 scales are indeed ancient.
However, one of the nice things about the ND780 is the fact it recognises and works just fine with old scales.
I run LS 803`s on my ND780, no problems at all.

Dian, for budget`s sake you could consider one of the older ND`s that are on Ebay Germany often.
Prices about €450,-.
Which one will work with your scales may be found in the manuals which are available online at heidenhain.de.

On edit : to fit LS 803`s to the ND 780 you`ll need adapter cables.
To go between the traditional round plug of the scales to the DSub connectors of the ND 780.
With the help of an electronically savy friend I made them myself.
Could dig out the schematics and part#`s I used if you`re interested.
Note : in the end not much cheaper then just buying the cables on Ebay

Well I did miss my bet then. Apologies for the misinformation. When I called Heidenhain USA regarding a replacement LS803 I was told that they no longer made or supported them. At first my LS803 scale needed repair but was later broken in transit.

Thanks for the new info.

OW

Back