What's new
What's new

Anyone on this site used the Carr-Lock system and care to give feedback?

DMSentra

Cast Iron
I'm thinking ahead to setting up a pallet system on my little Okuma and these headless clamps in the Carr Lock system look like they might do the quick change pallet retainment job well for little money. Mostly wondering about the pitfalls and whether they're reliable I guess. They have a pallet system available but with changing out cast iron pallets doesn't seem cool.
Headless Carr Lock(R) Clamps | Carr Lane

I've had great luck with the headed version in weld fixturing and other assembly tools that require frequent removal and replacement of tooling for doing high mix/low volume jobs. The only challenge I have found is that some folks have a tendency to overtighten the bolt that drives the expansion, it's a tiny allen I'm sure by design to reduce the amount of torque you can impart but that does not always stop people from trying to overtighten/strip the allen geometry out.

Never used the headless ones (that's really freakin' cool though). But did use some 20mm headed types on a fixture that required flipping. They worked great. No idea as to how accurate they locate as the parts were very loose tolerance.

They are cheaper than Jergens by a good bit.

The only thing I did notice is it seemed like the Carr Lock hardware had a broader tolerance than Jergens (we have used both). I've never had anything Jergens not slip together, but some of the Carr Lock studs and bushings were tight - too tight. Had to hone maybe 3 of 8 bushings about .0002". Could have been a fluke and honestly, probably still worth it with the money saved. I want to say it was around $40 per assembly (pin, bushing and receiver) cheaper... adds up quick.

Holding power with either system is great. In fact we used the hand-tightened knob style, no issues (again, loose tolerance parts).

Never used the headless ones (that's really freakin' cool though). But did use some 20mm headed types on a fixture that required flipping. They worked great. No idea as to how accurate they locate as the parts were very loose tolerance.

They are cheaper than Jergens by a good bit.

The only thing I did notice is it seemed like the Carr Lock hardware had a broader tolerance than Jergens (we have used both). I've never had anything Jergens not slip together, but some of the Carr Lock studs and bushings were tight - too tight. Had to hone maybe 3 of 8 bushings about .0002". Could have been a fluke and honestly, probably still worth it with the money saved. I want to say it was around $40 per assembly (pin, bushing and receiver) cheaper... adds up quick.

Holding power with either system is great. In fact we used the hand-tightened knob style, no issues (again, loose tolerance parts).

Good info, thanks. Curious if the binding issue was even with using only one primary and one secondary receiver as they recommend? The secondary is looser tolerance to fight that problem.

Back