What's new
What's new

Anyone tried to threadmill Tungsten?

Shop Supply Guru

Hot Rolled
I have a client who has asked about thread mills for tungsten. This a new one and I don't see a lot out their for so I'm wondering if any of you have tried it or better yet had success.

Metallic tungsten is not that great for machining. . .
All I know about tungsten, other than tungsten-carbide, is my experience with TiG electrodes. Near as I can tell all of them, alloyed or pure are not too tough but oh so brittle! Seems to me that thread grinding would be more promising. Can you grind internal threads?

pure tungsten is quite soft and machinable. Kern just put up videos of thread milling a carbide endmill, they may have info on which tool used.

That was done with PCD (diamond) tooling. Metallic tungsten has a min tensile strength of ~100Ksi, that's reasonably hard right there. Add abrasiveness and I think it's more of an issue than you give it credit for.

We make tungsten parts on occasion. It machines very nice, I would say somewhat similar to A2. You won't have any trouble threadmilling it.
”Pure” tungsten or tungsten alloys like Densimet alloys? Apparently the 98% vs 99.x% makes difference.
And afaik there is different varieties of ”pure” tungsten too.

Back