What's new
What's new

Anyone try an Accusize machinist level?

Mram10

Cast Iron
Just need a basic level for lathe verification and saw these. Any hands on experience?

Just need a basic level for lathe verification and saw these. Any hands on experience?
levels come in all types. a .0002" per 10" (or .02 mm per meter) is a high sensitivity level that will be off scale or unreadable for 99% of work.
a Starrett 98 level is a .005" per foot or .004" per 10" level that will read at least 4 lines or a .016" per 10" out of level condition. and at 1/4 of a division show .001" per 10". this is the primary machine setting level for 99% of work
until you get to .001" per 10" then the master level at .0002" per 10" will just be able to start to give any sort of reading. for a lot of work a .004"per 10" level (that can level to .001per10")is good enough and the level used 99% of the time.
picture shows a frame level whose main vial is .0002"per10" it was so unusable i added the .004"per10" level vial. that way i could use it 100x more often.
a master level at .0002" per 10" can be used to show a granite surface place thats not flat. that is as you move it it can indicate dips or low spots. really not much call for a high sensitivity level 99% of the time

Attachments

• LevelFrame.JPG
    LevelFrame.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 254
This level is, apparently, an exact copy of a Polish made level that I purchased some years ago. Probably made in the same factory. I like it, but didn't want the pipe "vee" in the surface, so I milled it out and re-scraped the surface. It is a 8" model. I also have the 12" version, but have not removed the "vee". Nice levels, just as nice as the Starrett Master level. I have used both. Good value for the money.

JH

This level is, apparently, an exact copy of a Polish made level that I purchased some years ago. Probably made in the same factory. I like it, but didn't want the pipe "vee" in the surface, so I milled it out and re-scraped the surface. It is a 8" model. I also have the 12" version, but have not removed the "vee". Nice levels, just as nice as the Starrett Master level. I have used both. Good value for the money.

JH

most or many are copies of Swiss and German levels. Wyler is the world class leader in precision levels.
High-precision spirit levels, various measuring ranges & sensitivities

Thanks guys. What length should I get in a level?

most millwrights will say a 8" level can be used one handed. 12 to 18" levels tend to be a 2 handed thing. when i was a apprentice we got a 8" Starrett 98 level. make sure its a red line or ground vial. that what each line is same incrementation. one line .005"/foot, two lines .010/foot
cheaper levels vial not ground each line can be very much different and you cannot calculate shims or adjustment needed

most or many are copies of Swiss and German levels. Wyler is the world class leader in precision levels.
High-precision spirit levels, various measuring ranges & sensitivities

Another vote here for " Wyler ". My go to level for 40 years was a 10" " Wyler " that had a 0.001" in 10" graduation.

My other levels were by " Hilger & Watts ". They were as good as " Wyler " but they are no longer in business unfortunately so getting a new level from them is impossible.

I had a 0.0001" in 10" " Hilger & Watts " box level at one time. It was next to useless for everyday shop work. Just too slow to settle.

Regards Tyrones.

Another vote here for " Wyler ". My go to level for 40 years was a 10" " Wyler " that had a 0.001" in 10" graduation.

My other levels were by " Hilger & Watts ". They were as good as " Wyler " but they are no longer in business unfortunately so getting a new level from them is impossible.

I had a 0.0001" in 10" " Hilger & Watts " box level at one time. It was next to useless for everyday shop work. Just too slow to settle.

Regards Tyrones.

i was a millwright for over 30 years. i always found a Starrett 98 level at .005 per foot or .004 per 10" the best for calculating shims, adjusting machines. it was rare to need a more sensitive level
i was once told it cost more to make a ground vial at .004 per 10". a straight level vial tube with no curvature at .0001" per 10" actually is cheapest and the most useless. one of those salesman hype things trying to sell you its better to those that dont know any better.

MRam10 --

I'm a big fan of the EDA levels -- which are sold in the US by MSC, Travers, Penn Tools, and probably others. EDA levels are manufactured by Ateliers Laumonier a short drive north of Paris.

I've found the EDA Model 114 "two vials mechanic level", which is available in several vial sensitivities and body lengths, to be accurate, stable, easy to adjust, compact, and lightweight. (I carried a pair EDA Model 114 levels having 0.05 mm per meter per 2 mm vial division vials mounted in 20 cm bodies in my briefcase on dozens of trips to North America, South America, Europe, and Asia back before 9-11, and they met my functional need every bit as well as a pair of Master Precision Levels such as the Starrett 199Z would have while being vastly easier to drag around with me.

Pricewise, the EDA 114 levels run in the same pack as the Starrett 98 levels.

EDA level 110/130

John

Back