Anyone using CBN wheels on a bench grinder?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Anyone using CBN wheels on a bench grinder?

There seems to be a lot of information available about using CBN (cubic boron nitride) wheels on a standard bench grinder for refreshing the bevel on woodworking tools, but precious little on using CBN for hand grinding high speed steel lathe bits and such, where a lot of material needs to be removed. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of using CBN for this purpose?

Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel Levy View Post
    There seems to be a lot of information available about using CBN (cubic boron nitride) wheels on a standard bench grinder for refreshing the bevel on woodworking tools, but precious little on using CBN for hand grinding high speed steel lathe bits and such, where a lot of material needs to be removed. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of using CBN for this purpose?

Mike
    The only grinding wheels I use for sharpening my woodturning tools are CBN. I've had members of our machinist group visit my home shop and try out my CBN wheels and ALL have purchased their own within days afterwards to sharpen their HSS lathe and drill bits. I'm a novice machinist and have only begun to sharpen these tools but the advantages I see are; the wheel doesn't need to be dressed, the tool being sharpened tends to remain cooler, longer lasting, cuts just as well if not better and will not disintegrate (I use mine without guards). The initial cost of a CBN wheel is more but they pay off in the long run.

PS I not only refresh the edge of my tools with CBN wheels but establish the initial grind with them. They cut that well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do. Works great. So nice not to have to dress the wheel and make a cloud of dust.dscn0489.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rats, now you got me wanting some. I need to start up one of those Fund Me sites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have three CBN wheels mounted. Use 'em for wood tools (chisels, plane irons, turning tools) and metal cutting tools (HSS, drill sharpening, point splitting, center punches, knives, etc.) and wouldn't go back.

Main difference to Beeser is that I'm too cheap to use them for roughing. They will eventually wear out under pressure and (to me) it's a shame to lose that perfectly square grinding surface. Roughing things like a HSS blank or a mushroomed cold chisel used to get a free cutting abrasive wheel and frequent dunks to keep things cool. These days a belt grinder is more often used, still with cooling as needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My main grinder in shop has a wheel 14"x3", I wonder what It would cost for a CBN version

7. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blazemaster View Post
    My main grinder in shop has a wheel 14"x3", I wonder what It would cost for a CBN version
    Likely a lot more than a decent 6-7" grinder AND a pair of CBN wheels to fit it.

But I'll bite. Assuming that's a monster pedestal grinder and not something like a cylindrical grinder, what are you feeding it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Likely a lot more than a decent 6-7" grinder AND a pair of CBN wheels to fit it.

But I'll bite. Assuming that's a monster pedestal grinder and not something like a cylindrical grinder, what are you feeding it?
    Squirrels?

10. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can someone recc a good CBN wheel for a 6"/8" grinder?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Squirrels?
    Too small, probably Rodents of Unusual Size.

13. Likes Milland, Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rewt View Post
    I saw on TV that nutria have been seen in California. Maybe they are in Washington by now.
    Bill D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got mine from D-way tools.
    You can actually call him and talk to him on the telephone.CBN Grinding Wheels| D-Way Tools

16. Likes sandiapaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rewt View Post
    Inconceivable!

18. Likes sfriedberg, Screwmachine, eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    I have three CBN wheels mounted. Use 'em for wood tools (chisels, plane irons, turning tools) and metal cutting tools (HSS, drill sharpening, point splitting, center punches, knives, etc.) and wouldn't go back.

Main difference to Beeser is that I'm too cheap to use them for roughing. They will eventually wear out under pressure and (to me) it's a shame to lose that perfectly square grinding surface. Roughing things like a HSS blank or a mushroomed cold chisel used to get a free cutting abrasive wheel and frequent dunks to keep things cool. These days a belt grinder is more often used, still with cooling as needed.
    Roughing a high speed steel blank (typically 3/8" square) to shape would be one of my main uses of the CBN wheel, but you seem to suggest that the life of the wheel under those conditions would be rather limited. I guess there's only one way to find out. Would an 80 grit wheel would be suitable for this task?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Inconceivable!
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

21. Likes Mtndew, M. Moore liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel Levy View Post
    Roughing a high speed steel blank (typically 3/8" square) to shape would be one of my main uses of the CBN wheel, but you seem to suggest that the life of the wheel under those conditions would be rather limited. I guess there's only one way to find out. Would an 80 grit wheel would be suitable for this task?

Mike
    It would certainly be cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just like any other operation, heavy stock removal is going to cause more wear to the cutting implement. I run a CBN wheel on my drill grinder, but I use a plain AlO2-wheeled bench grinder for heavy stock removal first also.

24. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CBN wheels are great in some/many applications..but they are costly to buy and costly to true-up/dress.

A small diamond wheel mounted in a hand held spindle makes an OK dresser. Yes holding it at angle so it does not spin at high RPM held against the running CBN wheel.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sandiapaul View Post
    Can someone recc a good CBN wheel for a 6"/8" grinder?
    Also recommend the grit and the purpose..common often go from 80 to 180 or so it would be good for someone to choose the right grit with not trying a bunch of wheels.

I used CBN wheels on CNC grinders and made up an arbor so I could quickly re-dress them on a motorized head TC grinder using green wheels and diamond wheel for redressing.

They would eat up a green wheel PDQ.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    Just like any other operation, heavy stock removal is going to cause more wear to the cutting implement. I run a CBN wheel on my drill grinder, but I use a plain AlO2-wheeled bench grinder for heavy stock removal first also.
    Same here. Get the rough shape with a run-of-the-mill aluminum oxide wheel, then take it over to the CBN to lap in the geometry.

We have a Baldor tool grinder with CBN on both sides that is nice because of the big angle tables and they tend to run more true, but for basic lathe cutters that it doesn't matter how exact the angle is, a generic bench grinders tool rest works fine for me.

Speed would be the only other thing in that some things work nicer with a slower speed, but most bench grinders are all fixed at their 1725-3400 or so speeds. We have a couple wet stone grinders that come in handy, but I'm also playing with an overhead belt driven grinder at home to use for tool sharpening with he intent of being able to manipulate pulley sizes as needed.